Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: help choosing a new MB

hi i am currently building a new system. so far i have a antec 1080amg case a stick of mushkin hi performance level 2 memory (512MB). i plan on getting a WD 80GB SE HD and a P4 cpu.

i want a MB that has good o/c'g abilities. and i would also like a good onboard sound, LAN, and firewire.

could you reccomend a good P4 motherboard with these features. i was thinking of the MSI board based on the sis648 chipset. but i am not sure.

:cheers:

I would look at something with the Intel Granite Bay chipset instead. With dual DDR it offers the bandwith the P4 needs and also has Hyperthreading support. It is a bit expensive though.
    For a more affordable solution I'd have a look at a board with the 845PE chipset. It offers performance close to the Granite bay but at a much more affordable price....also has Hyperthreading support.

I've got an Asus P4PE - its an i845PE chipset & it has onboard LAN & 6 channel sound

Generally speaking - I prefer Epox to Asus ... but all the necessary tweaks are available in the bios & there are no complaints as far stability goes

...it doesn't stack up to a granite bay though:thumb:

thanks for the input. what intel chipsets support HT? i was thinking of going w/ a 2.4b. price is a factor. also can you get i845pe w/ onboard firewire?

the Asus board that I have also comes in a version which includes Firewire/LAN/RAID & S-ATA

as far as I know the only intel chipsets that support hyperthreading are the i845PE/GE and Granite Bay

I read some speculative articles on which SiS and Via chipsets will support it as well - but nothing concrete yet.

....if you can find the one you want & the money isn't an issue - Granite Bay is the way to go:thumb:

Thread Information