Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help ! - Looking for a MB

Can someone help me out. I've been doing some searches and am finding it difficult to find the Motherboard I'm looking for.

Here is what I'm trying to find
    Pentium 2.8GHz
    533 FSB
    3500 DDR
    8x AGP
    RAID Serial ATA support

I've searched around - even went to MB's website - I can find 3 out of the 5 things I'm looking for. I'm wondering if I'm asking to much. I seem to can find 8x agp but not with 3500DDR. In your opinion's, if I want to Game and do some Video editing, which one should I cave in on ? 8xAGP or 3500DDR

No motherboard offers PC3500 standard mate. You can only reach those speeds with overclocking.

The best at the moment is a motherboad with the Intel Granite Bay chipset although availability is slim....Asus and Gigabyte both have these boards. These boards use two sticks of PC2100 or higher and offer all the bandwith that the P4 needs.

AGP8X also gives hardly or marginal gains so don't make it a priority.

If you are on a budget then get something with the Intel 845PE chipset as this offers Hyperthreading support, USB2 and so on. It is not as fast as RDRAM or the granite bay solutions but is much cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. I'v decided not to go cheap on the MB. I really want a good one. I really want the Granite Bay setup. Do you know if anyone makes a Dual Proc Board with the Granite Bay setup ?

Alamo

No that does not exist.
    For Intel if you want dual processors then you cannot use the Pentium 4...you will need the Xeons i think.

A much easier option for dual processors would be to go the AMD route with the MP series of processors.

Thread Information