Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Follow-on Question AMD or Intel

I know I know, this is like asking do you prefer Ford or Chevy. i've always been an intel guy, not because I felt they had a better product. It was just the safer bet of the two. Now, since i've always used Intel, it's hard to move to something else. So, let me ask the group. Per one of my other posts, I was leaning towards getting an Intel 2.8GHz Proc and Motherboard, but as I read through these threads there is a lot of talk of the 2700+ AMD setup. I'm not saying money is no object, but I'm prepared to spend $600 - $700 on a MB and Proc.

Here is what I want to do with this new PC. I have a 17monthold and we Digital Video taped a bunch of his "feats" and I want to convert this to DVD to send out to the family. I was using a Intel PIII 750 with 256MB of ram and it was taking 6 hours to render 600MB's of video. this is why the push to get a faster PC with more memory etc. I also want to game a little.

Knowing what you know now, what would your suggestion be ? SHould I keep going with Intel, or should I make the jump over to AMD.

thanks !

Alamo

Hi Alamo,

Video editng REALLY benefits from SMP (multiple processors). I really think you'd be better off with a Dual AMD system. I don't know what part of the world you hail from, but from the budget you gave I guessing the USA.

AMD 2000MP = $170 X 2 = $340
    Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+ = $240

Total = $580US

This setup would leave a P4 2.8GHz in it's dust as far as video rendering times go! I don't know what type of video editing hardware you have, but with a system like this you'd be most likely looking at faster than real time rendering.

*edit*

With the remaining $120 in your budget, I spend it up on some decent DDR333. 512MB would be good, but 1GB would be better, especially if you use adobe. You sould be able to get 512MB DDR333 for around $135US.

I have plenty of money. The Numbers I gave you were just for the Mobo and Proc. I plan on having 1GB DDR333 Memory, and a Radian All-In-Wonder 9700 along with a couple of 200GB drives RAID 0 together. Nothing is more important than my child's home video's :) At least thats what I'm telling my wife. :)

Thanks ! and I'm not just from the USA, I'm from Texas !!

;-)

Alamo

Whoa, thats pretty serious. What type of RAID 0 controller are you looking at? 400GB of RAID 0 is a hell of a lot. All is lost if either HDD breaks or the array breaks too! If you're going to have no form of backup, I'd suggest getting 4 smaller drives (maybe 120GB) and set them up in RAID 10. This way you have the speed of RAID 0 and the reliability of RAID 1 (more or less).

P.S I didn't know 200GB drives were available (It's been a couple of months since I had a good look at HDD's though)?

If you are into serious video rendering and on a large budget, then i would say intels 3.06 ghz cpu on a board that supports hyperthread and dual ddr. When it comes to video encoding/rendering i think it's hard to build a faster system than that. In the bios you could enable/disable hyperhread. Up to 30-35% faster encoding with this feature enabled than disabled. And that 3.06 ghz cpu, hyperthread or not, is not exaktly slow anyway is it...?

I dunno if you have read about hyperthread but it works just like a dual cpu system within win xp, even though you just use one psychical cpu.

;)

Yeah, that would be the ultimate. But you can build a dual 2000+ system which whould still have the better performance in SMP for about half of what a P4 3.06GHz system will cost you . But if you have the money it would be great.:)

Quote Originally Posted by brashquido
    Yeah, that would be the ultimate. But you can build a dual 2000+ system which whould still have the better performance in SMP for about half of what a P4 3.06GHz system will cost you . But if you have the money it would be great.:)
    I actually just built a couple of high end boxes at work last month - a dual AthlonMP 2200+ system & a P4- 2.8 on a i845PE board (w/hyper threading) - they're very similar in terms of performance in multi-threaded tasks ( CAD compiling - not rendering) & the intel system was actually a couple hundred $$'s cheaper

A P4 3 GHz on a Granite Bay motherboard should perform quite a bit bettter than an Athlon MP box & not cost that much more.

the problem with dual Athlon systems right now is that you are limited to the AMD 760MPX chipset which only supports single channel PC2100

Thread Information