Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I do to make this a little better

Hi All,

I have the following setup, and would like to know what I could do to maybe improve it for a little better gaming. Currently, I get a bit of stuttering with Trainz, and would like to see if I can stop it.
    Here is what I have:
    Asus A7S333 MOBO w/ SIS 745 DDR 333 chipset
    Athlon 2000 + XP CPU
    1 gig 333 DDR Ram
    Maxtor 60 & 40 HD's
    TDK Velo CDRW
    Creative DVD ROM
    350 Watt PSU
    Asus V8460 GeForce 4 TI 4600 128DDR mem Video Card
    Creative SB Live 5.1 sound card

I think that's all

Any how i think maybe there be something better I can do, or I have bottle neck somewhere that I can't find. I need to benchmark this using 3D Mark.

Thanks for you help & Happy New Year,
    Al

yo,how fast is ur cd-rom?

i dont like using the dvd roms.i like to stick with the 52 times cd-rom drives.

also,maybe u should get a higher power supply,like 400watts

MASTA OF ALL COMPUTERS

Hi,
    Thanks for he response.
    My DVD is listed as 16 10
    My Velo is 48 16 48

I should mention. I have the DVD rom as the Master and the velo as a slave, I'm wondering if I should switch them.
    Also I could find a way to get the speed of the hard drives.

Al

For starters most CDRW's have to be the master of their IDE channel otherwise probs can (and usually will) happen. ;)

Secondly ya choice of mobo wasn't a good call as so far only VIA and nVidia have made decent chipsets for AMD platforms (and I do own a SiS based mobo). :(

One thing to try though is uninstalling and removing the SB 5.1 and use the onboard sound to see if that makes a difference. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Funny you should mention the on board sound. I was just going to post on that very subject. I have enabled it in the past, but could get nothing more than very low sound, almost inaudible, and it seems to have a bit of static. Like I'm not getting the cords from the blaster's cambridge speakers plugged in correctly. I have a surround sound system that consists of 5 speakers and a sub woofer. The connections are colored light green, a pinkish-orange, and black. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction to get these working properly.

Then on the MOBO, considering the CPU I have, what is a very good recommendation for the board?

Thanks for your help,
    Al

Any nForce2 mobo ya can't go wrong with atm and I use and recommend EPoX myself. ;)

I was just looking at the Nvidia's I like them. Theonly thing that concerns me now is, can I use my 333 ddr ram in one, as I noticed there was mention on of CL2. I don't have a clue as to what that is.
    Please excuse my ignorance on this, but what is the atm you mentioned as well as EPoX. All are new to me.

Thanks,
    Al

Yes ya can use ya current memory though at least 2 sticks are required for the dual channel memory to work (3 sticks is the max). ;)
    This is the mobo from EPoX. :devil:

Thanks for the info. I have 2 sticks of pc333 ddr 512 mem, so I'm ok there, but lastly your thoughts on the Asus A7N8X as oppsed to the EPox you sent me.

I really appreciate your patience with me. But I'm learning more from this site that I have from any other to date.

Al

Here in Australia the Asus mobo is almost $100aus more than the EPoX one (approx $230aus for the EPoX) and for the few extras it has it ain't worth it in my books plus I have very good success with EPoX mobo's (which is probably why I use them for 99% of the systems that I build) whereas I've found Asus mobo's tend to be very quirky at times. : peace2:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information