Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Should I stick with AMD or should I try Intel?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiggo has a dilemma :(

You've been salivating over the 8RDA+ for too long... buy the AMD, and think about Hyper-Threading next time you upgrade...

Remember folks, WIggos got a bunch of computers (I count atleast 6) which means his upgrade cycles happen alot faster than the rest of us who have 2 on average. He's gonna be looking at upgrading again far sooner than ya'll think. By that time maybe HTwill be within range of his budget.

I wish my upgrade cycles were but just atm I have the reasons to do this with the end results hopefully bein' a tax deduction on it against the new business so this maybe the last chance I have to get something together that can do a SETI unit in under 2.5yrs within the next 18 months at least. ;)

For those who arn't up on what I'm doin' can checkout the "Adventure Begins" link in my sig.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Me I like intel better, but that's just my opinion. :)
    Don't get it twisted, this world revolves around money.

I was in a very similar boat a few weeks back Wiggo. I choose the AMD path in the end as all my other PC's are AMD so when I upgrade my gaming PC, all my other PC's get an upgrade too!

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Slacker[/size]]
    Me I like intel better, but that's just my opinion. :)
    Just to keep the pricin' the same the Intel is already behind the 8 ball (probably as much as 2000pts in 3DMark '01SE we're talkin' about here and to bring the CPU's onto equal footings would cost an extra $120aus approx. for the P4 2.53GHz) so it's goin' to take some convincin' here. :devil win

brashquido[/size]]
    I was in a very similar boat a few weeks back Wiggo. I choose the AMD path in the end as all my other PC's are AMD so when I upgrade my gaming PC, all my other PC's get an upgrade too!
    Yes I know the feelin' and after that little taste that early mornin' has had me thinkin' of excuses just to have one of my own.
    But I don't want to get stereo typed by my sig (I do have some old Intels around here in various states of repair, or disrepair) plus I have got thing's like the mobo in the Loungeroom PC that everyone was havin' a ****load of trouble w/ but it turned out to be the easiest and quickest one so far to be setup by me w/ not one hicup (though it doesn't crunch SETI w/u's as fast as the Server which is similar in specs but not not clocked up as far but it's 50mins slower on average which I can only put down to it's crappy memory settin's in BIOS as I've tried every settin' goin' to improve this). :(

But then again how long has it been since we had a P4 expert regular in here now for? And I havn't built one yet because ppl just seem to take my AMD quotes over the Intel ones so I don't know all the details behind their differences from not only AMD but from it's older pre P4 CPU's (of which I've had plenty of experience with). :?:

Come on ppl I'm open to most suggestions (especially b4 my missus decides to come into the forums and kill me for this) but just not any silly ones that are expected from n00bs (sorry n00bs but I want well educated posts in this thread plus I don't want to have to go thru the effort of deletin' them).

Oh, and I've got a little over a week to sort this one out as well. :eek:

nForce 2 anyone?....Wiggo with a 2400+ and the EpoX's abilty to change multipliers without unlocking is a great start. I'm sure this is not the intention for this setup but i know you will be tempted. Dual Channel Memory (yummy) and some Cosair CAS 2 from your "Thunder" PC you will be having a good time with that bad boy. I will have to vote AMD...since the Granite Bay is out of the question for the P4 setup then there is not a match for the nForce2 board. Just on the two points of dual channel and great overclockability...

As for the case i'm sure you don't really need any help there...as long as it has adequate cooling its all about taste after that.
    - Damien

ok, well most of thbis stuff i'm gonna post, we've already discussed over MSN, but other ppl might have some points about it.

1. Is the difference in performance going to be noticable in the tasks your using the computer for?
    2. Is heat a factor in your new house?
    3. Noise associated with cooling? does the noise comming from your comp matter much to you?

strangly, thats all i can think of :\

EDIT: just thought of another one

FLaCo[/size]]
    nForce 2 anyone?....Wiggo with a 2400+ and the EpoX's abilty to change multipliers without unlocking is a great start. I'm sure this is not the intention for this setup but i know you will be tempted. Dual Channel Memory (yummy) and some Cosair CAS 2 from your "Thunder" PC you will be having a good time with that bad boy. I will have to vote AMD...since the Granite Bay is out of the question for the P4 setup then there is not a match for the nForce2 board. Just on the two points of dual channel and great overclockability...

As for the case i'm sure you don't really need any help there...as long as it has adequate cooling its all about taste after that.
    Every reason to go w/ my heart buddy. :thumb:

Oh and here's some more info on it's uses. It will be setup as a multi-boot rig with Win98SE loaded first follwed then by System Commander and XP. A little later Mandrake 9.0 and Lycoris Build 61 will be trialed and learnt by hook or by crook so anything that ya's can think of here and why I shouldn't use an R8500/9000 and with this in mind will be of great use as to what difficulties may arise (that goes for the nForce chipset as well). :?:

Oh this info may not change my heart as I can swap Thunder to server duties (it does have RAID w/ 4 channels after all and perfect for 0+1 operation w/ 4 x WD JB400's) and use the Server for this purpose w/ a GF2 MX400 which I have instead of it's R9000. :)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information