Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Should I stick with AMD or should I try Intel?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiggo has a dilemma :(

If a swap is not a problem then go for it. I mean you will have to purchase some pc 2700 for the thunder soon to be server. And use the XMS on the "NEW THUNDER". I assume you have 1 stick of 512 which means you will need another stick of 3200 to have dual channel . Am I getting this all wrong..or is this what you had in mind?
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Andy[/size]]
    ok, well most of thbis stuff i'm gonna post, we've already discussed over MSN, but other ppl might have some points about it.

1. Is the difference in performance going to be noticable in the tasks your using the computer for?
    2. Is heat a factor in your new house?
    3. Noise associated with cooling? does the noise comming from your comp matter much to you?

strangly, thats all i can think of :\

EDIT: just thought of another one
    Ok lets see what my young m8 here has.... ok he'll probably think of somethin' else after that last post of mine but here goes. :devil:

1. No except from chrunchin' SETI w/u's both should go about the rest w/ no noticable difference.

2. It shouldn't be as the climate is cooler (like Katoomba here) but I can keep things cool even on hot days though if not already fitted w/ a/c will be eventually.

3. No as the 3 SMART FAN II's are the only thing to annoy on this one and they'll be replaced and some fans swapped around w/ 40cfm jobs which the server (with 2 less fans) does just as well w/o all that noise or airflow (my 7k 60mm fans don't worry me).

Well that may give ya some more thoughts Andy plus stupid me should have said in the last post the Thunder's video card can be used in this and that GF2MX400 can go into Thunder. I'm farely flexable. :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

80mm YS TECH CASE Fans are 48 CFM...dunnio if the are available in AUSSIE.
    - Damien

FLaCo[/size]]
    If a swap is not a problem then go for it. I mean you will have to purchase some pc 2700 for the thunder soon to be server. And use the XMS on the "NEW THUNDER". I assume you have 1 stick of 512 which means you will need another stick of 3200 to have dual channel . Am I getting this all wrong..or is this what you had in mind?
    I've already got 1x 512MB PC2700 w/o havin' to get anymore. As I said before, only a case, mobo and CPU is required for this as I have the most of the parts layin' around here now plus a few parts will be sourced from the current Workshop PC. ;)

FLaCo[/size]]
    80mm YS TECH CASE Fans are 48 CFM...dunnio if the are available in AUSSIE.
    Got some but the 40cfm's are more preferable and I already have them :D

What I'll do w/ those 3 SMART FAN II's is something that can wait for anyother project that may eventuate. : peace2:

Hereís my 2 cents worth, and remember Iím not a hardware guru by any means. I personally always go with the established market leader. Not out of fear or because I'm a newb, but because I don't want to frig around with hardware problems.

In this case, I would go with Intel. With graphics cards for example, I go with nvidia. Why? Simple Ė the game/software developers ALWAYS test their products for compatibility and performance on this hardware. Plus the biggest guys have the bucks and the know-how to throw into proper (read: working, non-buggy) driver development.

The nvidia example is a perfect analogy. The latest Radeons are actually faster than the current GeForce4s, but theyíre plagued with bugs and problems in various top-notch games. Simply because ATi is not releasing proper drivers. One software developer has recently publicly said they won't support ATi anymore because of the poor drivers.

AMD experienced the same thing. Remember the recent AMD ďpatchĒ to improve graphics performance. Iíve never seen a program which has problems running on an Intel P4. Iíve never experienced it myself. Iíve never heard of any cooling problems on an Intel P4. Iíve got an older P41.7 (yes I need to upgrade myself :)) and Iíve got a closed case system with a mild (1.85Ghz) overclock. No additional cooling, totally stock Ė runs flawlessly even on 40 degree days.

VIA is the same. VIA chipsets may be faster than others sometimes, but boy are the Intels much more stable and the driver sets much more mature. I run VIA myself and I know it needs tweaks to keep it stable and performing 100% Intel doesnít have the same problems.

I repeat Ė you get more speed buying from the smaller guys, but when you buy from the big guys you get guaranteed stability and compatibility and trouble-free performance. Thatís what I think anyway.

PS this is one of my "bored at work" afternoons ;)

Originally posted by PersianI
    [b]Hereís my 2 cents worth, and remember Iím not a hardware guru by any means. I personally always go with the established market leader. Not out of fear or because I'm a newb, but because I don't want to frig around with hardware problems.

In this case, I would go with Intel. With graphics cards for example, I go with nvidia. Why? Simple Ė the game/software developers ALWAYS test their products for compatibility and performance on this hardware. Plus the biggest guys have the bucks and the know-how to throw into proper (read: working, non-buggy) driver development.

The nvidia example is a perfect analogy. The latest Radeons are actually faster than the current GeForce4s, but theyíre plagued with bugs and problems in various top-notch games. Simply because ATi is not releasing proper drivers. One software developer has recently publicly said they won't support ATi anymore because of the poor drivers.

AMD experienced the same thing. Remember the recent AMD ďpatchĒ to improve graphics performance. Iíve never seen a program which has problems running on an Intel P4. Iíve never experienced it myself. Iíve never heard of any cooling problems on an Intel P4. Iíve got an older P41.7 (yes I need to upgrade myself :)) and Iíve got a closed case system with a mild (1.85Ghz) overclock. No additional cooling, totally stock Ė runs flawlessly even on 40 degree days.

VIA is the same. VIA chipsets may be faster than others sometimes, but boy are the Intels much more stable and the driver sets much more mature. I run VIA myself and I know it needs tweaks to keep it stable and performing 100% Intel doesnít have the same problems.

I repeat Ė you get more speed buying from the smaller guys, but when you buy from the big guys you get guaranteed stability and compatibility and trouble-free performance. Thatís what I think anyway.

PS this is one of my "bored at work" afternoons ;)
    Ok then lets see if this can give me somethin' to think about. (oh and if I seem too critical of any of these I mean to be to bring more reasons outa ya's) : peace2:

Ok here we go, Intels (pre P4) yes I've always found extremely easy to setup and hand over to someone without a prob and until the P4's release was buildin' about 55/45 - AMD/Intel so I'm no stranger to Intel (prices dictate sales but I do quote for both types), just the P4's and this will be based on a i845PE mobo (Brand yet tba, Brand and model is open so far to advise and equal cost to the 8RDA+ and good suggestions I will edit them, see RDR's post above but only i845PE chipsets). This automatically disqualifies RAMBUST (ppl will be shot at mention of this word) and Granite Bay(but Intel didn't go far enough w/ this chipset even to consider the extra cost again plus as I mentioned both setups must be of equal costs plus parts will be swapped around between a few of my PC's to suit final configuration so check all PC's mentioned here except the Loungeroom [except memory here maybe] and Kids' Rooms as well), no other chipset maker will be considered.

The ATi video was thrown in to see if Linux support had improved any and I did place an invite for the Linux ppl to join in as their input is vital here as well because of the at least 2x2 (2xM$ & 2xLinux) multi-boot setup which will be handled by System Commander.

Oh and I'm plannin' on usin' Thunder's v/c in this setup anyway (or maybe one of the MX's here if this turns to be an Intel as I'm not wastin' that card on one of them, I'm not completely ) as nVidia has the best Linux support that I know of.

Oh and lastly I do know that I don't really need all the power that the AMD setup will supply by half (except for tryin' to break the 2.5hr per SETI w/u mark I've set for myself). :)

But it would be oh so F@#$in' sweet (oh soz, 5w33t , or somethin' like that) :devil:

Thanx PersianI for that post as even though it didn't seem to do much it just may have done more than ya realise my friend by gettin' more of my expections out at the very least.

But I really want some suggestions on the mobo and any links to what may backup ya case plus anything ya's think that I may have overlooked anywhere along the way. :devil win

Ok this ain't goin' as well or as quick as I thought. This Sunday is the markets 1st day open this year and I've got some 2nd hand parts ti get for a few old PC's that need mobo's and I need to check prices again.
    Ok in the green corner is the favourite

Athlon XP2400+
    EPoX 8RDA+
    UNEEC windowed case

GF4 Ti4200 My VIVO (from Thunder)
    2x 256MB PC2700 (temporary donation in exchange for permanent 1 x 512MB PC2700 for Loungeroom)
    Samsung 40x12x40x CDRW
    WD JB400

maybe changed still.

and in the blue corner weighin' in at an unpopular choice so far is

Intel P4 2.4GHz 533QDR FSB
    EPoX EP-4PEA+
    UNEEC windowed case

GF4 Ti4200 My VIVO (from Thunder)
    512 MB stick of PC2700
    Samsung 40x12x40x CDRW
    WD JB400

maybe changed still.

Ok well so far that's it to narrow it down ya's but unless there are some real good arguments for Intel with hopefully what they think releant reviews or such pls come forward and drop ya guts now. I maybe critical of ya answer but only for the purpose obtainin' the best reasons possible to make me want to change camps. Honestly I thought this may really stir a bit of honest vigerous debate. Come on ppl I know that there is info out there amost ya's so spit it out now as AMD is 5/4 on to win so far and Intel a 1/60. :(

Righto I'll come back later. :cry:

The first words out of my mouth when someone speaks to me of building a system is "You need to do a lot of research.".

Wiggo, you just make it damn unnecessary to even go there - you can quote more hardware specs off the top of your head than I have taken the time to read.

That said, it's time to throw in my spare change.

CPU's nowadays are some data hungry beasties.
    Therein lies the challenge -- feeding the monster. So far, the AMD processors have the support of some chipset/memory combinations that just do that better than that available for Intel.

On top of that, it's true - the AMD's are known as "tweaker's processors". Reason being, the more you tweak the more they put out.
    Dood, you got tweaking so knotted up in your guts that no surgeon could possibly remove it. It'd probably kill you, or at best you'd have blind babies from that time on if they did try to take it out:D

The only thing Intel has going for it is HT - and how much use is that in the environment you will be using it? OK, we're talking about the 2.4G which doesn't officially support HT. But the most demanding task you have ATM is SETI, and you are only running 1 at a time per PC, as is only right and proper.

I'm not even going to mention the 3 out of 7 clock cycles that the P4 just pisses away, just multiply the big # in front of the G by about .23 and subtract that result from the original #.
    (OK, that may not be standard procedure - but it is based on fact. Mostly it is just a lame theory presented by me.)

Persian Immortal makes some very valid points about the Intel, but you know it doesn't take AMD long to catch up when they begin to lag.

I'm thinking you yourself are pretty much in the AMD camp. But I do admire you for looking at all the options. I've always said the informed consumer is the one who stands the best chance of getting his money's worth.

But, if you feel the need to experiment, go for it by all means.
    Both processors have an amazing amount of raw calculating power, and I know you won't rest easy until the full power of either has been tuned to it's maximum.

So how could you go wrong?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Ya I knew that I could get a reasonable answer there (one that surprised me a little too)...... recomposes one self ....... Ok that will teach me to under estimate ppl won't it?

Mr.C if I every get to go OS I'm comin' for a very long chat my friend. :D

I thought that ya might have put up the strongest Intel case (now that WILL teach me to judge others right proper like. :laugh:

Ok then have a look at this http://www.nelliott.demon.co.uk/dist...dows_diskless/

Now I picked a pretty small counrty town w/ buggeral facilities and no choices other than to be robbed blind if they want any sort of internet connection so. Plus situated right between 2 large country centers that don't fair much better. A lot of farmers are in the general region to so with the assistance of a few my ultimate purpose is to become a reseller for a competing ISP so that these ppl can at least have a choice and hopefully my family can have a secure future. But just to start off w/ I'll just setup a small PC store and internet cafe :)

Now I'm not sayin' that this will workout but by christ I'm goin' to give it my best shot and if that don't work, I'll just sit down have another think about it then

have another crack at it and hope that I learned from my first mistakes. :rolleyes2

So atm I'm goin' thru bits and pieces and lists and it seems that just maybe (and only a thought at this time) I can stretch to doin' both as it's just 2x everything required plus 1 lot of memory. I don't really want to stretch it this far though if I can help it.

Another thought is to get a 2nd hand rack system cabinet (If someone in either the Sydney or Brisbane areas knows of some plase that sells such please let me have a contact number for them).

Righto I'm off again now.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information