Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Should I stick with AMD or should I try Intel?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiggo has a dilemma :(

<small>ya wouldn't by any chance be plannin' a holiday to Australia would ya
    err, no, why?! :?:

I thought that I ask was all. :D

Damn. I thought that after 11 hours that someone would have been here to push Intel's case. Maybe I was wrong to expect some good strong cases/arguements here. :(
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The ATI linux drivers are just as flakey as their windows ones, and they only come in rpm format so your limited in what distro you can use them on, nvidia on the other hand supply linux drivers that are just as good (if not better) than the windows versions, including nforce drivers, and they supply them in formats that will install on any distro. As for cpus/mobos, linux will work on all of them, some of the latest chipsets will require a kernel update if you want them to work at their full ability, eg: the via kt400 will work fine but you won't be able to get ata100 unless you have kernel-2.4.20 installed. Some of the newer intel intergrated sound and video chipsets are not working too well yet but development is ongoing with these.

Bern...?

Never seen him around...?

Hi!, BTW
    - Damien

G'day FLaCo :-)
    I usually hang around in the linux forum.

Even though I've only used a few R9k's now all have been with the latest drivers and I've had n/p's on SE or XP w/ them but yes, the GF4 Ti 4200 My VIVO or GF4 MX440 will be used on this multi-boot setup (which one would be the better choice do ya think Bern?) which maybe based on my now Server (seems the best bet for the multi-boot job) yet as Thunder will become the Server w/ GF2 MX400 (as I said, almost my whole network, details in sig, is up for re-deployment) but I still need the extra PC which only requires the case, mobo and CPU.

I'd go for the Ti 4200, but either will work fine.
    Are you going to put the SB 5.1 in the new rig? I've got one here (with 5.1 speakers), working well with my dvd decoder card and remote control, all I need now is a wireless keyboard/mouse and a bar fridge and I could live on the lounge :-)

I was goin' to just use the onboard sound chip as that's enough for me and the SB 5.1 will likely go into the new one (Intel option only) as this will likely be my store PC (as it has a window). The multi-boot will go into the new workshop as this will be the only place that I can have a dirty smoke and w/ learnin' Linux plus a few other things may require the use of a few. ;)

Mandrake 9 will autodetect the via 8233 sound and set up the alsa driver so no problems there.

Thanx Bern as that's finalised the Workshop Multi-boot setup based on my now Server w/ GF4 MX440. :thumb:

Now if I can just solve the prob of the new PC for the shop. Higher powered AMD setup or lower powered P4 either w/ GF4 Ti4200 VIVO in it? :?:

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information