Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Should I stick with AMD or should I try Intel?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiggo has a dilemma :(

As some of ya may know my family is moving but ya's may not know is that the eldest son will be stayin' in Sydney so he's keepin' the Boys' Room with him so I'm now short a "Boy's Room" PC. :?:

Solution: Give him this old PC (my Workshop PC) after removin' a few things (of course). :thumb:

Now here's my problem;

I will still need a workshop PC (though not in this ones form, workshop that is). :p

Now I only require a case, mobo and CPU. but......

Here's where the indecission comes in.

Do I just get what I want which is an EPoX EP-8RDA+ and Athlon XP2400+ or should I broaden my horizons and for the same price build a P4 setup based on the 2.40GHz 533FSB?

Now only sensible answers please as I'm more inclined the AMD route after havin' a small taste of that combo but with all the ppl now with P4 setups and more ppl postin' questions about them should I take them into consideration and build one (which I think would be inferior to the AMD setup) based on the i845PE chipset? :?:

<center> </center>

Personally, I always like to have a little of both flavours - for interest sake.
    Price is not the issue it once was - mid range systems are actually very close in price now - although in the real high end stuff there is still quite a premium for Intel
    the AMD setup you described would probably be somewhat faster - although I don't think thats really a concern for you in this case.

I'm going to vote for the Intel - for the reason I stated first - but I don't think that will be the popular choice

...first an ATi, now you're considering a P4....what's next - a Cyrix box w/ a Xabre?

Now, I have always been anti-Intel, personally, I'm all for AMD, but given the price and features...and going against my own gut, I'd have to say go with the P4. Get a mobo with the Granite Bay chipset (so we can all collectively cheer "screw Rambus" whilest you still get nice enough memory bandwidth to feed that beast). As far as that goes, even if you don't get Granite Bay, the P4 will still be the far better overclocker, which will come in handy before the next upgrade cycle...

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    ...first an ATi, now you're considering a P4....what's next - a Cyrix box w/ a Xabre?
    Get the f@#%! outa here as I'll be dead first (goin' sideways is one thing but I didn't mention anything about goin' f@#kin' backwards at anytime).

<center> </center>

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Maniacmous[/size]]
    Now, I have always been anti-Intel, personally, I'm all for AMD, but given the price and features...and going against my own gut, I'd have to say go with the P4. Get a mobo with the Granite Bay chipset (so we can all collectively cheer "screw Rambus" whilest you still get nice enough memory bandwidth to feed that beast). As far as that goes, even if you don't get Granite Bay, the P4 will still be the far better overclocker, which will come in handy before the next upgrade cycle...
    Sorry but maybe I should have mentioned that the Intel based mobo must be the equivalent cost of the EPoX one (about $230aus/$130us). : peace2:

Oh and anyone who now on mentions RAMBUST in this thread will be serverly dealt with. :snip:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Sorry but maybe I should have mentioned that the Intel based mobo must be the equivalent cost of the EPoX one (about 0aus/0us).
    I had originally wanted to get an Epox 4PEA+ (i845PE) for my P4 box (before granite bay was available) - but it was in short supply & my dealer couldn't find me one - it was about $135USD
    <s>The Asus one I ended up with was actually a bit cheaper - under $130USD - all though it doesn't have RAID (big deal) it comes w/LAN, USB2 & 6 channel sound
    ...normally I'm not a big ASUS fan, but I'm pleased w/this board</s>

...still...nForce2 would be nice - I salivate over them too

see what if feels like after ya built one for someone else to play with
    W
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    RDR[/size]]
    I had originally wanted to get an Epox 4PEA+ (i845PE) for my P4 box (before granite bay was available) - but it was in short supply & my dealer couldn't find me one - it was about 5USD
    The Asus one I ended up with was actually a bit cheaper - under 0USD - all though it doesn't have RAID (big deal) it comes w/LAN, USB2 & 6 channel sound
    ...normally I'm not a big ASUS fan, but I'm pleased w/this board
    Thanx m8 I'll look into them though Asus usually demands a premium be paid here but I'll definate look at it as soon as I check the EPoX in the other window out. :thumb:

maybe I should go inside and use the dual monitor setup for this? <small>*looks at clock-7:15am*</small> yep that should be up now :?:[/i]

where's the button that says:
    "wiggo needs to go out and get some fresh air / a life?" ?!

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

:devil win

Whatcha talkin' 'bout girl? This will still be part of a new business venture and lifestyle.

I get out as far as my walkin' stick can get me and if that's as far as the car then I'll get further (forget the letterbox though). :p

Plus I also opened the back door to the workshop @ sunrise this mornin' and not 5mins ago hobbled out thru it and up steps into the house to make use of these two monitors.

<small>ya wouldn't by any chance be plannin' a holiday to Australia would ya :?:

where ya movin too/

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information