Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's about time!!!

Hi everyone!
    What a great forum and just the kind of help I'll be needing...

I am taking the plunge and building my first system within the next month... I've spent the last 2 weeks just reading up on what's around, new and up and coming...

I've come here for everyones advice and opinions on my next rig...
    BTW My budget will be $2000 US...

What I'll be doing with a new rig~

I do a lot of high res photoshop stuff
    I have a TON of home movies I need to edit and burn to DVD and I want to delve into sound and vid editing...
    I love FPS's
    My current favorite game is RTCWolfenstein Multi-player (QIII engine)
    and I'm looking forward to Doom III :D

Anyway,
    This is the direction I'm heading in...

CPU
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533MHz
    Mainboard
    ASUS P4G8X Deluxe (whenever the start selling them)
    Ram
    PC2100 DDR 1GB x 2
    Video
    Radeon™ 9700 Pro
    HD
    ??
    Opticals
    ??

As you can see from my Sig. I'm over due haha

What do you think of that for my first project?
    My current Phat Calculator
    =====
    CPU:
    300 MHz Intel Pentium II
    MOBO:
    Intel Corporation AL440LX
    Vid:
    3dfx Voodoo3
    Aud:
    Sound Blaster PCI64
    RAM:
    384 MB PC100 @ 66 MHz!
    HD's:
    IBM-DHEA-38451 (8.46 GB), BUSlink (40.00 GB), IOMEGA ZIP 100 (100 MB)
    Optical:
    HP CD-Writer+ 8290, MITSUMI CD-ROM FX240S

I think you are gonna have alot of fun with your next project.:)

Seems to me that 2000 US bucks is alot on a rig and you can get some nice goodies coming up.

IMO, i would switch the Radeon with the new GeForce FX
    Switch the CPU to an AMD 2600+ (333FSB)
    Swtch the MOBO to anEPOX 8RDA+ with the nForce2 Chipset.
    Get some memory from Cosair XMS PC3200 CAS2 (2x 265Mb) on Dual Channel DIMMs
    and Audigy Gamer (Audigy 2 isn't really worth it)
    120 GB Western Digital Special Edition Drive

Man now THAT is a BAD ASS PC!.. I recently built my buddy one almost exact just with the Radeon 9700PRo instead of theGeForce FX (which hasn't debut yet...but will soon) and it is great it got a 14500 3dmarks without and tweaks or o/cing.

Now, this is my opinion...and do not go with what i say right away. If i were you i would read reviews and ask more questions about the stuff out there. What i do know is that what i have just posted above is a performer. Ask questions...we are here to help
    :)
    - Damien

Ok, i passed by newegg and made up a comp on the wish list.

MOBO- EPOX 8RDA+ = 132
    AMD 2600+ =280
    Cosair XMS =206 (2x 256)
    80GB Spec. Edition WD= 110
    Floppy- Mitsumi =11
    Audigy Gamer = 84
    GeForce FX- Approx. 400
    Clone Chieftec Case (Alienware looking cases) = 69
    Power Supply- Enermax 430W-86
    LAN CARD- Linksys (realtek chip) - 8
    Lite-On 48X24X48X CD-RW=57.99
    Lite-on 16x DVD ROM =46.99
    CPU Cooler- Thermal TAke Volcano 7+ = 29.00
    Case Fans - 80mm YSTECH (x4) = 32

All of that for only 1,551.98 remember the GeForce FX is estimated ...but should be close to that. That leaves you enough money for a nice Black 19" Viewsonic Flat CRT Monitor!!! WOOT... which is 250 in newegg which still makes the total price below 2000.
    - Damien

Lemmy guess here, You prefer AMD eh? :)
    I get the feeling that you don't think I'm getting all the bang for my buck with a p4 setup?

I wan't thwe ability to expand and upgrade what I build now in a year or two when the prices of some of the latest stuff goes down...

I'm likeing what I read about granite bay right now (especialy the ASUS P4G8X) and I'd like to take advantage of HT down the road when the chips are down in price...

I guess I just don't know enough AMD's because I've allways had intel chips...
    =====
    CPU:
    300 MHz Intel Pentium II
    MOBO:
    Vid:
    3dfx Voodoo3
    Aud:
    Sound Blaster PCI64
    RAM:
    384 MB PC100 @ 66 MHz!
    HD's:
    Optical:

I also always had Intel....and just now AMD....

No i am not bias...just like music if its good i listen to it...no matter what genre.

Like i said do research and well...look around...don't go with my opinions ...but plz don't just decide intel just cuaz of the name like some asoound here. They like a Intel just cuaz...no reason or say behind why they like it.

AMd is not just Bang for the buck...its BOOM for the penny.
    a 2.2 performing like a 2.8...that great....read up...and then decide...i just took some time to help you out thats all.

Honestly, the memory (PC2100) has to go tho...
    - Damien

AMd is not just Bang for the buck...its BOOM for the penny. a 2.2 performing like a 2.8...
    Your talking OCing right? I guess I don't really know a lot about OCing right now but I'm slowly educating myself on the subject...

I just want my first project to be a solid stable and scalable rig before I worry about OCing...

i just took some time to help you out thats all.
    I really do apreciate it FlaCo... Your the only one responding to my post so I assume everyone agrees that my P4 and Granite bay AGP 8X idea is weak...

Honestly, the memory (PC2100) has to go tho...
    Ok, here's where I'm a little lost... I don't understand too much about the diffrences of all these various rams Isn't pc2100 older (slower) and therefor cheeper to buy.. The MB i mentioned (ASUS P4G8X Deluxe) is supposed to pump this ram to rambus benchmarks... Isn't that a good thing...
    =====
    CPU:
    300 MHz Intel Pentium II
    MOBO:
    Vid:
    3dfx Voodoo3
    Aud:
    Sound Blaster PCI64
    RAM:
    384 MB PC100 @ 66 MHz!
    HD's:
    Optical:

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbone
    Your talking OCing right? I guess I don't really know a lot about OCing right now but I'm slowly educating myself on the subject...
    *No i am not talking about overclocking...the AMD performs like a 2.8 even tho its actually a 2.2 (hence the 2800+ it isn't really their clock but the rating system amd uses.) So youwill have a very stable system no need to overclock to get that 2.8 performance out if your AMD...but if you ever decide to overclock...you can overclock say from the orginal 2.2 GHz to 2.4GHz meaning your AMD will be performing like a 3000+ (like a 3.0 Ghz). Do you get how it works now..no over clcoking at all....that 2800+ is a rating system the true clock is a 2.25.

I just want my first project to be a solid stable and scalable rig before I worry about OCing...
    You won't have to worry about overclocking you can have a rock soild pc with the AMD and that MOBO...but even if you decided later on to O/C those to components go hand in hand as that MOBO is very good at O/Cing...

I really do apreciate it FlaCo... Your the only one responding to my post so I assume everyone agrees that my P4 and Granite bay AGP 8X idea is weak...
    Well with Granite Bay its a different story...but it will be much more expensive...Granite Bay will have most of the features the nForce but with P4 uniqueness...like HT support etc.

Ok, here's where I'm a little lost... I don't understand too much about the diffrences of all these various rams Isn't pc2100 older (slower) and therefor cheeper to buy.. The MB i mentioned (ASUS P4G8X Deluxe) is supposed to pump this ram to rambus benchmarks... Isn't that a good thing...
    Well, just like the nForce motherboards...the Granite BAy will support Dual Channel Memory and yes with PC3200 on each channel Dimms you will have real close numbers in the Rambus range...one reason why rambus is going out of style. My buddy got real close numbers in bench marks to rambus with just PC2700...but reall try to get PC2700 and up even if ain't @ gig of memory...i think a Gig or 512mb of 2700or 3200 in dual channel will do you better than 2 gigs of 2100.
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo

Well, just like the nForce motherboards...the Granite BAy will support Dual Channel Memory and yes with PC3200 on each channel Dimms you will have real close numbers in the Rambus range...one reason why rambus is going out of style. My buddy got real close numbers in bench marks to rambus with just PC2700...but reall try to get PC2700 and up even if ain't @ gig of memory...i think a Gig or 512mb of 2700or 3200 in dual channel will do you better than 2 gigs of 2100.
    I'm pretty sure Granite Bay only supports dual channel Pc2100 anyway
    For dual channal Pc2700/3200 you'll have to wait for Springdale

....having said that- If you going to buy new RAM get at lease PC2700 anyway - it's nearly the same price as Pc2100 & it will give you a few more options - If it were me I'd spring for the Pc3200, but it will cost more....

also, 1 gig dimms are still way expensive too - if you can make do with 512MB dimms you'll save a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    I'm pretty sure Granite Bay only supports dual channel Pc2100 anyway
    For dual channal Pc2700/3200 you'll have to wait for Springdale
    Really, what a nice lil bottle neck huh...

Anyway...i would also go with the 3200 if i was in the same situation...which i was a whilewhen i had the choiceof 2100 or 2700 and i went for Samsung 2700 and now i am glad i did.
    Tho, some Corsair XMS PC3200 should rock the house.
    - Damien

It is not a bottle neck at all but in fact provides the optimum bandwith that the P4 needs. 4.2gb/sec or something like that.

The Nforce2 just has too much bandwith!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information