Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building My First P4 System

Hey, guys. I'm building my first P4 system. I've only built one computer, which is an Epox 8K5A2 with AMD XP 1800+ system. It is a very nice system but I want a new computer to move my current one aside for LAN gaming. I'm gonna take my time and put as much money as I can into this but it will take 2-4 months to build this. I want to build something that is super fast and consists of all of the best parts available today. I have an Audigy 2 and will be moving that to the new system and also my new LiteOn 16x will go to the new system.

I don't know what is on the horizon or when prices will go down on the parts I'm looking at. So, if you see something in my list that you know is going to go down in price soon, let me know and I'll hold off on that part.

What I have planned now is the following,
    Gigabyte 8INXP
    Intel P4 2.53
    GeForce FX
    Antec True 430 or 480?
    512MB Crucial 512MB
    WD 80JB (80GB, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache)

From the reviews I've read, the Gigabyte 8INXP seems to be the best P4 board you can get right now. The P4 2.53 is about as much money as I want to spend on the CPU. I don't know if there would be any advantage to spend the extra $$$ for the 2.6. I'm not sure about the HSF. I know the Volcano 7+ is the way to go for an AMD but I don't even know whats out there for the P4, I'm gonna have to put some research into that.

Thanks for any help or advise. :cheers:

the Volcanoe7+ is a pretty good HS for a P4 too - or the Alpha PAL8942....I've used them both with good results

...if you've already decided on waiting for a Geforce FX - why not wait for the whole system - there's no point in buying it a peice at a time - maybe when the FX is available, Springdale chipset might be available & hyper-threading CPU's may come down in price as well

Thanks for the quick response. That is a good idea, to wait to buy the parts. Only problem is I may get impatient waiting for parts and buying as I can afford feels like I'm moving faster than just saving the money. :p

What is a good source on the net for Intel info? Are there any busy forums, like amdmbforums, for Intel?

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    the Volcanoe7+ is a pretty good HS for a P4 too - or the Alpha PAL8942....I've used them both with good results

...if you've already decided on waiting for a Geforce FX - why not wait for the whole system - there's no point in buying it a peice at a time - maybe when the FX is available, Springdale chipset might be available & hyper-threading CPU's may come down in price as well

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak

What is a good source on the net for Intel info? Are there any busy forums, like amdmbforums, for Intel?

I don't know of any good Intel sites....but I've never really looked either

I usually just browse the web news at Tweaktown and/or Anandtech every couple of days.....there rarely seems to be a shortage of Intel info.

Do you think the P4 3GHz will be down to the $300 price range in a few months? If in a few months a hyper-threaded 3GHz and Springdale chipset is the same price as a 2.53GHz and Granite Bay chip set is now, I'll hold off on buying and just save the money back.

Springdale chipset might be available & hyper-threading CPU's may come down in price as well

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak
    Do you think the P4 3GHz will be down to the 0 price range in a few months?

....probably not, but the 2.66 or the 2.83 might be - plus there's rumours of the possibility of lower frequency CPU's having hyper threading enabled in the future.

either way - buying a 2.53 right now & letting it sit on a shelf & depreciate for 2 months doesn't make much sense

Even if you still buy the 2.53 in March - chances are you'll save some money over what you would spend right now.

Thanks for the advise. I agree.

....probably not, but the 2.66 of the 2.83 might be - plus there's rumours the possibility of lower frequency CPU's having hyper threading enabled in the future.

either way - buying a 2.53 right now & letting it sit on a shelf & depreciate for 2 months doesn't make much sense

Even if you still buy the 2.53 in March - chances are you'll save some money over what you would spend right now.

I read some reviews and think the 8INXP is gonna be more than I need. So, here is my revised list and prices from Mwave.com.

Coolermaster ATC-110-SX1 $225
    ASUS P4S8X $126.14
    Pentium 4 2.53GHz $248.04
    512MB Corsair DDR333 $160.50
    Antec TRUE430 Power Supply $78
    Volcano 7+ $36
    Radeon 9700 $330.65
    WD 80GB 800JB $142
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    $1,347.07

Well, I got a bonus at work this week and plan on ordering the parts next week. Considering this, will the ASUS P4S8X and P4 2.53GHz be a good choice since this will be the computer I use for probably the next year? I'm going to keep the WD 30GB 7200RPM, MSI Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB, LiteOn DVD, and Audigy 2 that is in my current system.

Let me know how that SiS chipset works out for you.....I've been warned away from them by a few people - but they do seem to have a pretty big upside if you get them working right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information