Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: which hard drive to buy

Got a question for you all. I am getting a motherboard with the ata133 compability and would like to take advantage of this however I saw in a review that a Western digital ata 100 with a 8mb cache out proformed a ata133 drive with only 2mb of cache. Well after that i was set on getting the western digital's special edition ata 100 drive. Well i now found out that maxtor makes a hard drive that is ata133 AND has a 8mb cache...but i cant find any reviews on this. Looking at the specs the seek time seems a little high but i have heard that seek times given by the manufactures arent very accurate to begin with. With all that being said have you guys have any experience with any of these drives? What are your opinions? I am eager to listen!!!
    p4 2.4 gHz
    512mb pc2700 corsair low latency XMS memory
    Gigabyte 8pe667 ultra2
    volcano 7+
    xaser II case
    16x liteon dvd rom
    Western Digital 80gig Special Ed.

ata133 has no real advantage atm, however, an 8 MB chache does significantly imporve performance
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

have a look here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/8mb-ide-roundup/

look into the warranty priod as well WD SE's are 3 years - most maxtors are 1 yr. - I don't know if the Maxtor 8mb models have a better warranty or not

I wouldn't buy a hard drive without at least a 3yr warranty.

tks for the info.........now how about i through SATA into the mix...my motherboard will have built in SATA connections so it is feasable to get a SATA drive however i think the only one i have seen to be offered is the seagate barravuda V which is quiet but doesnt perform very well. Are there any other drives out there that i missed? What about SATA vs WD ata/100 8mb cache?
    p4 2.4 gHz
    512mb pc2700 corsair low latency XMS memory
    Gigabyte 8pe667 ultra2
    volcano 7+
    xaser II case
    16x liteon dvd rom
    Western Digital 80gig Special Ed.

until the pci bus gets redesigned, the only benifits to sata right now will be the thin and longer cables...there should be some speed improvement in data speeds, but not much...until the pci bus gets rededigned. The cables used is enough reason for me to switch...but i would rather get a sata adapter and put it on my ide hdd then buy a sata hdd
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thread Information