Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barebones!

I'm getting a Motherboard, case, processor, and possibly ram.
    I'm heavily into video games and have grown out of my P4 1.4ghz processor.
    I'd like to stay under $300 for the Motherboard, case, and processor.
    What would you guys suggest and where is the best place to order from?

U definetly need ram for games and where are u based? then we can tell u were to get the parts. And get an athlon xp there cheaper and faster:devil:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Quote Originally Posted by rugbydude
    U definetly need ram for games and where are u based? then we can tell u were to get the parts. And get an athlon xp there cheaper and faster:devil:

I'm getting 512 mb ram, the type probably does not matter to me that much becuase I doubt the speed of the Ram will make that big of difference, but maybe I'm wrong, any insight would be helpfull.

I'm in the US.

I've only checked pricewatch.com so far and it seems like I can get a faster p4 for about the same price as a Athlon when you take into consideration the price of the board and processor combined. I'm actually looking at a 2.4 ghz speed right now. I could probably upgrade mine to a 1.8ghz but it would still cost me about $160, so I'm thinking for about $100 more I'm better off getting a new case and board to go with a p4 2.4 ghz processor.
    My current system is a Compaq and they don't support processor upgrades for my system, so the information at hand is limited. All I found out is that it has a Ripcurl board with a 400mhz bus and a PGA 423 socket and I THINK it can be upgraded to a 1.8ghz which would be just on the edge of what I need but like I say for a little more money a 2.4 ghz would do me better.

Check out this thread for good american retailers:http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=1752
    The amd athlons go threw more processors per second then intels pentium so an athlon at the same speed as an intel will run faster. Also the type of ram makes a big difference. Try to get something like ddr ram towards the pc 3200 or higher. I have pc 2100 and it runs fine. But the higher the better for games.:cheers:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Ya, ram is important if u ar in to 24/7 gaming. get 2 256 pc 3200 from corsair. and for the CPU,i would stick with Athlon,cause i think the price will drop a bit beacuse of the 3000+..
    My gaming rig-----------
    epox- ep 8RDA+ (sweet mobo)
    athlon 2000+
    2x 256 mb pc 3200 ddr 400 ram
    no brand case
    40 gb 7200 rpm western dig
    dvd-rom + cd-rw
    400 w PSU
    radeon 128mb 9700 pro (i am almost broke!)

My server

Msi mobo-athlon 2000+ 2x512 pc 2400 ddr ram - 120 gb 8mb 7200 rpm. - radeon 7000 64 mb- 15 nec montoir - atx case with 5 fans total

I'd say pick up a 2.4, snag yourself an albtron px845pev pro (99 USD$ even cheaper some places)... and a fairly decent cheap aluminum case (if your current case won't support the new mobo) and a 512 (or 2 256's depending on what you want to do).. 'tis a bit over your $300 budget :D but worth it.
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo

(WOW!) I like the case! I think I'll go with it. Where did yo buy it and whats the model #?

How much did you have to shell out for the processor? Thats the same speed I'm looking at.

How do you like the Gygabyte motherboard? Do you have front USB ports on that system and is there anything that you wish you did differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide
    I'd say pick up a 2.4, snag yourself an albtron px845pev pro (99 USD$ even cheaper some places)... and a fairly decent cheap aluminum case (if your current case won't support the new mobo) and a 512 (or 2 256's depending on what you want to do).. 'tis a bit over your 0 budget :D but worth it.
    Thanks for the info. I've never heard of Albtron before but I'll check it out. What do you like about it anyway?
    I think I'll break my budget if I know what to get.... Do you do alot of video gaming and whats your most system demanding game you play set at the highest setting without a hint of lag?

My Compaq case is probably piority but it might be worth checking around incase I can use it. They can't give out information like that at Compaq so I'll have to go to another source or measure my current board and try to figure out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Onebadass[/size]]
    (WOW!) I like the case! I think I'll go with it. Where did yo buy it and whats the model #?

How much did you have to shell out for the processor? Thats the same speed I'm looking at.

How do you like the Gygabyte motherboard? Do you have front USB ports on that system and is there anything that you wish you did differently?
    Ok you'll likely find it sold as an Enermax 710B server case w/ large window.

The CPU was $400aus (but prices change from country to country)

I use Gigabyte mobo's mainly for non-overclocking but fast stable systems and this is certainly fast and stable plus it does overclock (just doesn't have all the good settings like Abit and EPoX have plus I couldn't get the EPoX version for love nor money). I really think that the CPU I got is topped out though at 150MHz FSB and it won't go higher now matter how much juice I feed it and everything else is runnin' well within spec.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information