Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last battle.. before the hammer

Ok..So I am lucky git.. :D

I just recently inherited some money from an old aunt of mine and I want to create THE blistering fast rig with absolutely no sound coming from the case.. Bear in mind that I have absolutely NO knowledge on overclocking. With the release of the new barton core cpu's from amd in conjuction with the new nforce2 mobos, I have reached the conclusion that if someone is looking to build a super fast these days he is looking at 2 possible cpu-mobo combinations..

nforce2 with a 3000+ barton core cpu
    or
    granite bay with the P4 3,06 HT

I have been a lurker of this forum for some years now, although I haven't posted much, because I have noticed that people here get some really sound and non biased advice..
    I must admit though that I have noticed that they are a lot of avid AMD and overclocking fans in here and I must say prior to presenting my options that I also use to be the owner of an amd athlon xp 1900+ but had terrible trouble trying to cool the bugger down..(probably due to poor cooling as wiggo says..)
    I had to put up with 55DB!! Gladiator fan running at 6500rmp for
    about a year or so.. After the cpu's untimely death probable due to bad cooling in the case, I have recently purchased the following rig, that will now be passed on to my wife:

gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra
    P4 2.53 Ghz with a stock fan
    512MB 333MHz Kington RAM
    2 80GB Seagate baraccuda V ATA 133 HDD's
    Liteon DVD 16x
    Liteon CDRW 52X
    using detinator 41.09
    all this in my latest purchase-->
    Thermaltake Xaser 6000A (I will keep the case)

From my very little knowledge compared to most of u in here, I have come to the following conclusion after reading a heap of reviews & articles(and correct me where I am wrong):
    1.AMD has always had quite a big advantage in the price/performance equation but their new CPU realeses have brought their prices much closer to those of intel..
    2. Multi-tasking may not deliver a big difference in performance right now, but as more and more software is written to take advantange of this option, this feature will gain advantage.
    3. barton core cpu's work at the same rate as lower classed e.g 2700+ tbred counterparts..that and the fact they have a bigger dye, allows them not to overheat so much.
    4. I have read about all the feature possible releases (Springdale-P Springdale-PE Springdale-G Canterwood ) plus the hammers and what have u, but I want to buy a PC now that will be as upwards compatible as possible..

The options that look best to me after searching everywhere are:

AMD SOLUTION:
    -Chaintech 7NJS ZENITH (looks like the best nforce2 board around with raid ultra ata option plus Sata that I want)
    -AMD 3000+ barton core
    -Corsair ddr 400
    -ATI All in wonder radeon 9700 pro

P4 Solution
    -GA-8INXP (it has absolutely everyrhing on board) or the new SIS 655 based (DUAL DDR 400) MSI 655 Max & Gigabyte SINXP1394
    -P4 3.06 HT
    -Corsair ddr 400
    -ATI All in wonder radeon 9700 pro

so for the long post but I wanted to show u how I came to this final conclusion..2 last things. The mobo must definetely have an ultra ata 133 chip cause I have about 4-5 HDD's . Plus I read on another post something that wiggo [who's posts I always follow closely :) ] said that in "real world' terms amd is faster and I must admit that I still have the impression that my old amd 1900+ felt faster than even my current PC (the P4 2.53)...strange huh???

Any suggestions/propositions would be more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

greg

P.S I have even taken into consideration that I would like to overclock either just a bit, without having any noise and I have already ordered the Thermaltake Aquarius II Liquid cooling system that will work with any CPU...
    http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...aquariusII.htm

Sorry bout the double post...
    my pc froze up when I tried to edit the post..
    I tried to delete the first post but with no luck.
    If a moderator could please delete the first post.

thanks

In my opinion your p4 option is better. The p4 3.06 ghz model has hyper threading and a 533mhz front side bus speed. This will run alot faster than the athlon 3000+ as that is only 2.2 ghz.:devil:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

In the link The__tweaker gave me above Wiggo posted the following:

"Just as I always say "certain horses for certain courses" and what ya use ya system for should dictate ya choice and not just base it on one brand over the other. When I get into playin' with video then I'll use the P4 to do it on (or anything else that relies heavily on SSE2 instructions. "

after reading that I think that should at least state what I need my Pc for:

1. office programs (word,excel, and so on)
    2. games
    3. Video Editing
    4. movie viewing & Tv program recording on a DVDr
    5. Some architectural design progs
    6. internet browsing & downloading

Although these are my needs, the fact still remains that I want to fix the best rig possible with the future realeases in hardware in mind, as much as it is possible of course..

if u should take a path u should go with the p4 3.06ht with the ggiabyte board it is faster than the 3000+ athlon and prolly somewhat cheaper in this article it might be helpful it compares the p4 3.06ht with the athlon xp 3000+ http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/index.html

on that note i'm gonna have to say the p4 again. Its good with games as well as audio and video editing. :devil:

Thanks asian chaos,

I have already read that article, and because a lot of people seem to use Tom's Hardware as a reference for some of their purchases, I was pretty much dissappointed with the AMD 3000+ results.. :cry:
    I was hoping that the 3000+ would be the one to make me switch back to an amd cpu..
    The funny thing is that I can swear that another 2 reviews I read these days claim that the 3000+ is better overall..I just cant seems to find the damn links..As soon as I find them I will post them..

rugbydude youre right, the P4 option is starting to look more and more jucy especially after the release of the SIS 655 boards like the amazing, feature packed Gigabyte SINXP1394..
    Dual DDR 400, now that sounds good with a little mutli tasking thrown in the mix..

Yes if you want to build now then go Intel.
    Cheaper than Amd and due to hyper thread
    better for your tasks as well.

We will have to wait for the Hammer and maybe then
    we will have Amd as top performance leader.

Don't take me wrong, the 3000+ is a pretty mean cpu
    but as it costs more and is shown to perform just below
    then i think it's an easy choise..

Not often we se Amd's procs more expensive than Intels.. :wow:
    And that result has been presented by other sites as well,
    just to kill any suspicions against tomshardware.com

:cheers:

You've made a good choice mate. Have fun with your new rig.:cheers:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information