Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgradin' Time...

Ok, it has come time to upgrade my now outdated system. Currently I run a 533 Celeron on a MX34 AOpen motherboard (http://english.aopen.com.tw/products/mb/MX34.htm). I have 448 of system RAM, but I got no clue on the PC or anything really specific because this was just RAM that I got as gifts from people upgradin their stuff. I run Windows XP :thumbs do and I have a GeForce2 GTS video card. For a sound card I have a SoundBlaster Live! Xgamer card, which i think is satisfactory still, but if you have other opinions about new stuff that's not too expensive, let me know. Mainly I am looking to upgrade my processor, but if I want to go over like 1.12Ghz (read: I do) I have to upgrade my motherboard as well. I'm looking for a low-cost, efficient combo, I don't need all the bells and whistles as I am not a hardcore O/C'er nor a performance buff. I use my computer to work (Visual FoxPro/Java/surf the internet) and to play a few games (Cstrike, Battlefield 1942, etc.). I used to be into everything but now I have kind of gotten behind and would like to hear some other educated opinions as to which direction should I head. I am not adverse to buying Intel or AMD, it doesn't matter all I want is something that performs reasonably well for as little cost as possible. Thanks in advance for your time.
    *EDIT* Added link to motherboard

U really should look into replaceing ure whole system. First that syatem is far too slow for xp and those games. Right now that i've said that i would recommend picking up a new mobo and processor. What ram are u useing:?: as it may not work on a new mobo.For a good deal head to ure nearest second hand dealer:cheers:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I am not going to replace my whole system because there is still plenty good left in mine (HD, RAM (even if all of it doesn't work, RAM is cheap), sound card, LAN card, case) plus I don't buy Dell or HP or any other main manufacturer of computers. If i'm going to build a system, I buy all the parts and put it together. I don't have tons of money to throw into this, I need to upgrade mainly my processor, but to do that effectively, I need to upgrade my motherboard as well. The video card is not really that significant to me, I can deal with playing like it is. What I am looking for is pros/cons to the various motherboards/processors that are out right now. Like I said, I am not new to the game at all, just have fallen a little out of contact with the latest revelations and gadgets that come with the new technology. Why should I get an AMD over a P3? Should I spend the money on anything other than a new Celeron since the one I have had has worked faithfully for over 3 years? What I am looking at right now is a decent motherboard (probably from AOpen since I can get non-retail prices) and a 2 Ghz Celeron processor. What is the downside to doing this compared to getting a P3? an Athlon? These are teh questions I am really trying to ask. Thanks for the reply, even if it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Comparing an Athlon to a P3 is like comparing a Ferrari to a Jetta... One may go pretty quick, but the other blowsi t outta the water. Comparing an Athlon to a P4 is comparing a Ferrari to a Ferrari :) (But you wont' find a P4 board with SDRAM slots on it... RIMM's or DDR, dat's it). And if your really considering on upgrading, I'd go with a new board, cpu and ram at the least. Won't cost ya an arm and a leg (certain P4 processors are actually cheaper (here, every p4 proc is now cheaper than their amd counterpart except the 2ghz p4 is a whole $2 more expensive than the 2000+) than their amd counterparts).

I'd go with:
    CPU: Pentium 4 2.4ghz (dirt cheap right now)
    Mobo: Albatron PX845PEV Pro (cheap board, excellent for OC'ng and stability)
    RAM: 512MB Good quality name brand ram (save yourself some money from buying corsair memory (for example) and buy samsung ram. Have a look at my sig for reasons why :D (not saying all ram will do that but anyway :))).

Your looking total, about 325 - 400 USD$ depending on where you shop. (my conversion may be off by a few bucks, taking CDN$ prices and converting.)
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

I agree there really anint much you can do to upgrade a celeron system although they are cheap...just go and get a custom system based on amd or intel....:smokin:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Thread Information