Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what i'm looking at building what do u think ?

Looking to build a new puter keeping a couple of parts from my old one namely
    Video card - MSI Nvidia GeForce4 MX460 - I use duel monitors
    Satellite Card

What Im thinking of buying that fits my budget

-Mobo MSI KT4 Ultra V MSI 6712
    -cpu AMD Athlon xp 2400
    -mem 512 pc-2700 DDR
    - Promise ATA133 Raid 0,1
    -HD 4 x 30 gig Maxtor 7200 ATA 133 2 raid 0 & 2 raid 1 ( learnt about raid here on TweakTown :D ) cause I never get around to doing backups.

Does this give me any room for mild OCing when the novelty of a new puter wears off or have I missed something totally ? :?:

You should be ok doing some ocing with this. A couple of things to keep in mind are you will need a quality power supply to probably even boot, adequite size case so the hds aren't packed into a tight cluster, sufficient case fans to vent the considerable heat the rig will generate, a good hsf suitable for ocing.

this is the case I was looking at http://www.cws.net.au/clipper/ez4000.html
    it has a 350W power supply
    room for front & rear fans
    and front USB suitable for use with the MoBo I was going to use

Your hard drives will be packed like a brick in this one and I doubt the power supply is of sufficient quality at this price to be serviceable for your needs. A full tower case with an Antec or Enermax psu would be better.

RAID makes your hard drives work much harder than they do in a standard single drive setup....make sure you have lots or air blowing over them to keep tham cool

Almost every IDE RAID setup I've done with Maxtors has failed in less than 18mo. - I won't do another RAID setup with MAxtors. Especially since they reduced their warranty from 3yrs to 1yr.

Get a single Western Digital SE drive with an 8MB cache - you'll be better off than you would be with RAID 0 - and if you're worried about back ups - get another IDE drive and make a ghost imaged on it once in a while.

Thanks for the replies

I guess I'll loose the raid and keep the HD I've got now - hey this is getting cheaper all the time

I was only interested in the raid for something different

I've learnt more here @ Tweak Town in a week than I have in the last 6 months and the friendliest forums I have ever come across :thumb:

Bush:cheers:

...you can use all that extra money to upgrqade your video card - there's lots of better choices now than a GF4MX

Also, I don't know a lot about MSI MB's - but that looks like a KT400 board - not a bad choice, but if you can find an nForce2 board that you like - you'd be better off:thumb:

Thanks again

I'll do some more poking about on the MoBo ;) the rest I can update later as I go

Some cases like the Enermax 710 or Aopen H600 has fan mounts next to HDs to keep them cooler, which is a good idea even if you don't use raid, since the 7200s do get quite warm.

http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h600-series.htm

I'd have to agree with WD SE drives. Besides having the 8 mb which makes them a bit quicker, they do come with 3 year warranty (Samsung drives do too but they aren't as widely available at least here in Queensland and I got no idea how well they perform). I plan to get one (either 60 or 80) as soon as my budget allows.

I got an MSI KT3 Ultra (like KT4 but its got KT333 chipset) and I'm very happy with it. If I was getting a mobo today, I'd get one based on nForce 2 chipset. They come in 2 flavours, without on-board video and with GF 4 MX 440 or 460 (can't recall which one).

As far as video cards go, wait till newly annouced new ATI and nVidia cards are out in the shops.

Thanks Ren

Case looks good for what I'm now going to do

I was only going to use the Maxtors because I don't need huge amounts of HD (Had 40 gigs for years and its 1/2 full mostly with junk I don't need/use).

Been looking at nForce2 MoBo since RDR's post.

So I will keep the HD and I'm happy with the dual monitor Vid card I have now so bigger CPU and more memory mite be in order ;)

Bush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information