Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: a new mobo for me!

alright all you wizards out there, please help this hardware dud!
    its high time that i kicked this old and almost worthless mobo of mine to something good. i have set my sights on MSI 845PE Max2.0.
    i read its review on Extreme Overclocking and in all it sounds a good buy to me.
    what do you people suggest? will it be a good buy or you suggest something else.
    i can afford what this mobo is labelled at $150-$160, anything in this range is game for me but not too much more than that :(
    thanx in advance :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Do you want oc ability or just stability? Any particular features important to you?

well yeah i want to plunge in to this new world of oc'ing. never tried it but there is always a first time.
    i don't really need the raid feature that the board is providing but firewire is a nice attached thing in it.
    i don't know what else to look for :shrug:
    i want to go for something on which i can upgrade my cpu later (P-4 1.6 right now ) to something around 2.4 may be (this board supports upto 3.06). though its quite a common feature these days but i liked its oc'ing ablities and the active cooling it provides will also be an added benefit.
    so what do you say?
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I have a poor record with MSI and there support division so I'll tell ya either EPoX or Gigabyte though EPoX has the better darkside features. :devil win

If you want a board that has HyperThreading support, anything with the 845PE or 850E chipset will do that. Personally, I'd look at Gigabyte over Epox, but that's just my opinion, and I also think that MSI is a fine company. I haven't had to deal with their tech support yet, so I can't hold that against them like Wiggo.

The MSI board is one of the cheaper ones to get, save for maybe ECS (Wiggo and I both agree that ECS is bad news---stay away!), but that's not a wise selection. If it were me, I'd look at the Gigabyte 8667PE line up (several variations of the board), to best customize your wants/needs.

well well now it is starting to make sense. thanks guys for all the help till now. it is gigabyte for me :thumb:
    i looked over gigabyte's site to know more about their available mobo's based on 845 PE.
    most of them say they support 3.06 or above. what does this mean? these mobo's won't support my 1.6 or its just that i won't be able to use the hyper-threading feature? :confused:
    i can't upgrade to 3.06 right now :(

btw what does ECS mean? :?:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

ECS = Elitegroup Computer Systems

To use hyperthreading, you need apps, mobo, and cpu that support it. P4 1.6 does not support it.

cpu support means "up to and including" All P4 soc 478 should work.

I'm sure the 1.6 won't have a problem on it...
    - Damien

cheers guys :cheers:
    thanx a lot! i will check out new frontiers on gigabyte then and will talk to you guys again!
    thanx a lot for all the helpful information! :)
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information