Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zip drives and Monitors

Hey guys i was wondering whether its worth purchasing a zip drive now that they seem to only hold around 250mb and the ones which hold 3gb are 50 each - once DVD-R come out won't it be worth using them instead and zip drives go exstinct?

Also looking for a cheap good quality second hand monitor if anyone knows the best place for getting one in the UK?!

cheer peeps :laugh:

there are 750MB zip disks.
    But I thought that Zips are a thing of the past ever since CDRs are so cheap. you can get a decent CDRW under 50bux.

I agree with kane2g. With my old Zip drive I had to worry about getting the disk back if I gave someone files on one as they were $6-8us apiece. Also far fewer people could use a Zip disk that I prepared than than could use cds. I don't know about the UK, but here I have a personal rule that I won't pay more than 10 for a blank cdr as there are always rebates available (I bought 100 Fujiflim 48X yesterday for $7.99 after rebate.). At that price, I can download 12mb worth of drivers with my broadband, put it on a cdr, and give it to a friend with dialup. I don't even bother with cd/rws anymore.

I agree, my 250meg zip drive just sits and gathers dust these days. CDR's are just much cheaper and easier to use.

Yep my opinion is the same, stick to CDRW's as they give much better value and as for the monitor have a look around for a Diamondtron or Trinitron model.

I'd think classified ads and places such as eBay would be reasonable places to search for a used monitor:?:

The Zip is dead.
    Basically it is proprietary BS that was doomed shortly after the introduction of CD-R into the mainstream market.
    I know folks who use them because - "Aunt Sally and Grandma have them and it makes it easy to share family pictures."

I bet you Aunt Sally has a CD-ROM drive too! She could always make the Zip for granny's use.

Iomega is beating a dead horse to try and innovate the Zip -- if they persist, they shall surely doom themselves.

A proper CD can be read on about 99.999% of functional desktop computers today - and on a wide range of OS's/hardware.

For price, compatibility, and availability the Zip should not even be mentioned in the same thread as a CD-R/CD-RW
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

As far as the monitor, try Compaq or Dell they sometimes sell refurbished monitors with a warranty. Trinitron is the way to go, they are very clear and everything looks great.

Never done business with this place but friends tell me they have some good deals. Computer Geeks

WOW cheers for all the info peeps :thumb: looks like the zip drive is screwed then :shoot3: don't know why they bother sellin them! Have you seen the price of the tape drives i saw a mag sellin them for 1000 thats like a new computer!

Ta for the monitor stuff ill have a look - has anyone had bad experinces with ebay or just all good reports - i aint bought out second hand of an auction site before so im a little cautious!

ta ta

My college still uses them. Since its chaeper to but 1000s of ZIP drives than 1000s of CDRWs. But for most part they are dead.

Yeah CD WR are becoming a whole lot cheaper infact you can pick them up for around 30 - they no be very good uns though! I spotted a real nice one: the black plextor model here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...RW_Drives.html

What would you recommend for bacjing up my computer - i have have 50gb of data? :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information