Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im new to Overclocking, But...

I saved up some tight moneys to build a second comp that will go LANnie-LANnie to this comp ;) .

Since my budget is very tight, i was going to get

AMD 1700+ Thoroughbred B (i heard its the sweet spot for O/C)

Asustek A7V8X-X/Lan SocketA KT400 6CH Audio USB2 ,10/100Lan
    (http://www.ezonecomputers.co.nz/webt...typegroupid=11) the price is in NZ bucks, Divide by 2 and you will get a rough price in USD.

512 DDR333 (pc2700) Ram, Unbuffered.

I was wondering how far would i go with this combination.

I saw a lot of results further than 3.4 GHZ with that AMD but really im not expecting anything more than 2.5ghz (or even less) simply because i never overclocked before.

Also, vcery important

The video card. Any hints? Must say that im looking at Ti4200 and nothing else.

And before i forgot: i can get as many fans as i need or want lol. But going for either Volcano 7 or 9 any suggestions on that?

And any specific fans for Video card, ram? (im not overkloking ram, well maybe a little, but defenetly getting a heatsink or maybe even a fan for it)

Please help me, i would take in consideration any help i can get, i will trust you guys, you would be the best people to ask! :afro:
    There are 10 Kinds of People In The World:

Those who know binary, and those who dont.

ok 1st thing if u can try to get an NForce 2 chipset mobo if u are on a budget go for the Abit (what ever) or if the price is right get the asus one just try to get the 2.0 version of it if u can. If you got an Nforce2 motherboard then i would suggest getting 2 sticks of 256mb so you can take advantage of the Dual channel. As far as overclocking goes I think that getting any thing over 2.5ghz would require water cooling or better as default runs at 1.47 GHz and getting it to 2ghz would be really nice on air cooling. As far as the gf 4 4200 goes the asus one does really well as i have seen, there are others of course for cooling the volcano im my self looking at the Volcano 7+ for my barton GL :cheers:

Nforce2? What about that mobo i showed, would it be worth the buck, to go for Nforce instead? Dual channel is good i agree but 2 sticks of 256 is more expensive than 1x512. But when it comes to performance i would go for Dual channel too :).

Asus, never actually knew they were doing as good as Leadtek (good as from Box but bad at o/c) or Gainward (bad from box and good at o/c with its fancy Golden Sample).

Volcano 7? Any reasons why it is better than 9? Please tell me :)

Oh big thanks man, you helped me a LOT with this, i really appriciate it. If Nforce is worth it then i will go for it as you said :)

cheers!!!

the nForce has good onboard sound, saving you 59 bucks for that nice SB live 5.1! but i would go with ATI 9500 pro b/c it is just generally better than the TI series by Nvidia and i think is cheaper (but not sure)
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

ATM if ya not usin' an nForce2 mobo then ya not in the race though it does need 2 sticks of memory for full performance. Ya need a Volcano 7+, or if ya deaf a Volcano 11, but stay away from the 7 & 9 as these are a copper/aluminium combo which is not as good as the former two's full copper (Volcano 7+'s are what I use in my Athlon/P4 PC's that I own and build).

hehehe Wiggo have you ever compared your 7+ to a swiftech w/ a hardcore fan (i just wanna see the results where sound doesn't matter)
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

With a Swiftech being at least double the price (if not more) of a Volcano 7+ here without the fan that's not likely.

Thanks,

Any specific nForce2 board?

Whats so good about them?

**being a n00b for once in my life

EDIT: Just read the Toolbox's post, for some reason didnt spot it. I was relying on Onboard sound, yes so thanks, its 1 more point for nForce

As water cooling can be a bit fiddely why not get one of these:
    senfu chassis

and mount it in one of these:

All your cooling problems solved :idea:

ta ta

Lol thanks for help but you are a bit slow, i never had cooling problem, i only asked whats Volcano 7+ and 9's differences, and i already looked at 7+ to get. No water, tight budget :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information