Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Buy or Not to Buy..That is the Question

Seagate Barricuda 800 gig SATA HDD is definately the way to go. It is awesome.

Chaos:flames:

and hot, how you gonna cool it down?
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

I would recomend getting a WD they are a qualirt brand most ppl trust, Maxor is also a good brand but some of their models are not so great. Seagate are good drives but out of all the drives that come for repair/replace at a place i know are seagate after about the 1year mark. I personally have had about 10+ WD drives throught the years and only one 20gig failed but was replaced free of charge but that was a bit my fault as it accidently :rolleyes: got mishandeled. O also the drives with the 8mb cache give you a nice boost in preformance I really recommend thouse. Also i would not waste money on SATA unless you really have to have the newest and latest things as they seem to be slower then regular drives... ya i tried one the 80 gig seagate and i can tell you that the 100gig WD 133ata beats that drive any day

Maxpowers

WD doesn't make an ata133 drive. Maxtor is the current leader in the SATA benchmarks overall.

Go WD they have been fine with me! My mates IBM broke down and it was new :(

ta ta

Ok, I own both a WD and a Maxtor. My WD is pos 40GB 5400rpm, so it sux in performance compared to their new 7200rpm w/ 8mb buffer; however, WD's are really quiet. My Maxtor is one of the fastest HDD's of seen. I use my old WD for storage, and my new one for benchmarking and gaming. Although the motor on the Maxtor is more noisy, the only time it makes noise is when you load a game or switch around large files on your HDD, and compared to my CPU fan, I can barely hear it. Also, Maxtors are wicked cheap. My 160GB is normally $179 and it comes with a Ultra ATA 133 Controller card for free. Also, I got a $50 mail-in-rebate with it. So, I got a brand spanking new 160GB 7200rpm w/8mb buffer HDD with a totally compatible (very fast) Ultra ATA 133 card for only $129; not bad at all :thumb: . The WD's were a lot more expensive and didnt come with a controller card, which XP needs to get full capacity of the drive if you buy a drive of 137 GB (140 GB actually) or bigger, never mind the speed you get from it. Anyways, that's my :2cents: , hoped it helped, : peace2: Mista K6

P.S., j/w, what's the difference between a Serial ATA/133 card and an Ultra ATA/133 card?
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Yes WD's are ATA100 and Maxtor's ATA133 is hype as the ATA66 specs are only now startin' to be exceeded in real world terms (harddrive design and construction ultimately is the bottleneck in this department even when the PCI bus is left out of the SATA equasion).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information