Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Buy or Not to Buy..That is the Question

Ive had my old Maxtor HD for a while and it is starting to crap out on me. I have decided to git a new one but after doing reaserch ive found out that some people prefer WD over Maxtor and vice versa. weeel, gimme feedback on what you prefer and why. :shoot3: :snip: :snip: :cheers: :devil: :smokin:
    **LAPTOP**
    Core 2 Duo "Memron" T7500 (2.2ghz)
    Intel Crestline GL960/GM965/PM965
    4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (512 MB)

I prefer the WD "JB" series of HDD's and as I'm an overclocker they work well but Maxtors tend to die when the PCI is well out of spec as I like overclock the whole system to get the most from it.

Can't say I have any expeirnce with either, but im looking into a WD 120GB 8MB Buffer. I would suggest that, which ever you go with, get 8MB Buffer!

ok want the fastest IDE drive possible? the new WD raptors, im talking 10,000 RPM but they come in 36gig so you would need 3 (3*36 = 108) to get enough storage and of course put under Raid 0 you have a nice little 108 gig 10,000 RPM hdd, but the price is i think 196 per 1 so 3*196 = 588 and of course you need the controllor
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

t00lb0x

You need to read some reviews on the Raptor drives.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...tml?i=1795&p=1

The WD Raptor maybe fast (in certain tests) but they're also small in capacity, run hot (look at ya case coolin'), are very expensive and Serial ATA only so I'll stick with the JB's thanx (unless ya won't to donate one or two).

I would recommend WD, as I have a WD in my current box right now. I do a fair amount of downloading, and moving files. It seems to be a good HDD, and fast :O)
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Woteva u do don't buy a big(more than 40 or 60) gig seagate barricuda as the larger drives are very slow. As for ure two choices i have a 40 gig wd in my other computer and its great. :thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Ya want speed?

*Looks over at his p4 running ultra320 scsi*

:D
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

ok you win the raptor sucks, i was just impressed that is the fastest ide drive there is
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information