Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade questions

Ummm... I searched all of those sites and never found a i865 board, only i875's and i845's; is it a modded 845 or something :?: ? I dont know what corners I can cut, because I need a 400/533/800 board so that I can run my old 400MHz 1.9GHz for awhile until I get more cash to buy an 800MHz 3GHz CPU. At present prices (all USD), I'm gonna be spending $220 for the board, $64 for the case, and about $160 for the RAM (probably two 256MB modules to take advantage of dual channel mode, either of PC3500 or PC3700, havent decided which yet...). That's a hefty amount of cash, and then I'm gonna have to get a CPU. The only 3GHz 800FSB CPU they have out now is $500, which is waaaaayyyy too damn expensive. The sad thing is, I have to ge the new board, ram, and case if I eventually wanna get a new CPU. Damn that sux, lol :cry: . The other thing I was wondering, I alread have an ATA/133 controller card, so if I get a board that only has ATA/100, will the ATA/133 override the ATA/100? Also, is there any good guides around that are good for newbs like me who wanna put in a new mobo? :p . Thx for all the info and advice already, its been a big help. THx again, : peace2: , Mista K6

P.S.- Is there any way I came make some cash off my old stuff? After I do all of this, I'll have a 400fsb P4 board for RDRAM, a never o/c'd 1.9GHz P4 CPU, 768mb of 16 bit PC800 RDRAM, and I already have a a 10/100 LAN controller card, some RDRAM spacers (the ones that use up unused RIMM's on the board), and a 16-bit Sound Blaster Live! Value card. Help?
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

here's a link to the Abit i865 board:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/IS7/

and here's one to the Abit i875 board:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/IC7/

....note that the i875 board does not support 400FSB chips - I beleive that is a characteristic of the i875 chipset - so I'm not sure if DFI has gotten around it somehow, or if they're just reporting their MB's specs inaccurately - either way you should look into it before you buy one if you plan to use it with a 400FSB chip.

I've not found the definative answer on whether or not the i865 chipset supports a 400fsb - the Abit i865 board says that it does - so again it may be worth researching

Wow :wow: , the IS7 is a REALLY good board for me, thx RDR :thumb: . I read the review on the Chaintech 9CJS board, but that board has tons of goodies which would seem to make it really expensive (like the VIA Envy sound chip; I have an Audigy 2 alread, so I dont need it). THe thing I'm wondering about is that the IS7 has 6-Channel On board sound, and then it says it supports 24-bit, so I'm taking that means it does NOT have 24 bit sound and I'll still need my Audigy 2 card :?: . Anyways, I found this good site (or at least I hope) called www.excaliberPC.com that sells everything I need, and pretty cheap. Although they have higher shipping costs, they have some great deals when you buy lots of stuff (MMM discount or something). Anywho, here's what I found.

ABIT IS7 board (omg it's kickass) at $124 :woot: . Wow that beats the $220 I quoted earlier; screw the i875 board! :p . Anyways, I'm goin with the non-advanced version, as it seems the advanced only has dual RAID, and that's about it. It's not worth $60 to me. Link: http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_i...oducts_id=2053

OSZ 3500EL RAM, 2x 256MB modules, $153 (-$10 discount for buying the board too). Fast RAM, good brand name (as far as I've heard), and pretty cheap. Link: http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_i...oducts_id=1590

I'm still gonna use that other case, I'm looking around for other ones at the moment (maybe if I find an inexpensive aluminum one)

Anyways, so that means it'll be $350 total, which is less than I thought I'd spend, but still quite a pretty penny. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna try to do most of the work myself, but I'm a real noob. Is there any really good (as in tried and true) online guides that I can use to suppliment the mobo's manual when I try to put this comp back together?

Also, here's my plan for the HDD. I have the WD40 as my C w/ Windows XP Home (from Dell, blah :barf: ) on it. My friend bought a comp way back w/ XP prof., so I get a nice freebie as I'll just use his software :thumb: . Also, my second HDD is the MAxtor under F. So, what I was gonna do is take all of my info, back up the important stuff, and send it all over to my F drive. Then I'll complete wipe my HDD and re-format it (HELP!), then install XP on it. Once everything is up and running (my new board and RAM will already be in place), I'll move the data back. Now, what the heck is the chronological order for this? Back up data, move it to the F drive, Wipe the C drive, Re-format it, Take apart comp, put everything in the new case w/ the mobo, RAM, and fans already in it, put everything together. Boot the comp (omg how do I get past this), set up the BIOS, then run XP installation, install XP on the C drive, get eveything running up to specs, then move data back?

Ok, wow, this is a really long post, but I think I got everything out there, any advice is helpful, thx so much alrady, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_i...oducts_id=1412

I like this case - I think it's an excellent deal for the money
    ...it's not aluminum, but I like the fact that it has 2 x 120mm fans (nice and quiet) 1 for exhaust & 1 for intake that blows over the hard drive cage plus it comes with a good quality Antec 350w PS
    I have a few P4 3GHZ/Asus P4c800/Radeon9700Pro/2xWD drives in Raid 0, workstations running here at work in those cases - hte Raided drives stay nice and cool & I've had no Power supply related issues:thumb:

I need to build 2 more on saturday & I'll stick with those cases

Hmmm... you're the expert here, not me :p , but will 350 watts be enough for all my gear? especially since the new Radeon9700 and up are requiring at least a 300 watt PSU? Also, is that 120mm fan for the PSU only, or is there another fan for the PSU? If there's another fan for the PSU, or the 120mm keeps it cool enough, that's a damn good case with great cooling for only $70.

edit: I found that same case on www.googlegear.com for only $64, and it looks like it comes with at least one fan too. Also, shipping at googlegear.com is free :thumb:
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl350_spe.html

the PS included is a good one even though it is only 350W, it's rated at 230w accross the +5 & +3.3 rails which is very good - above is a link to the specs

as I said before I've got 2 systems here at work running right now with those PS's w/ the following specs"

P4 3.06 GHz
    1024MB DDR400
    Asus i875 P4C800
    2 x Western Digital "SE" in RAID 0
    Volcanoe7+, 2 x 120mm case fans etc.

no problems whatsoever....unless you're planning on adding a few SCSI drives to your system - you should be fine

.....the PS itself has 2 fans - the 2 x 120mm fans are in the case

picking a case tends to be a matter of personal preference - as I said before, I think this one is an excellent deal for the money & it has most of the features I like to see in a case....but some may not agree with me:rolleyes:

Wow, 2 fans on the PS AND 2x120mm, that's some damn good cooling :wow: . Nah, if you're running em fine, I'll def take your word for it. I only have 2 HHD's too, and and teh IS7 doesnt take too much power, does it? And a 3GHz (800FSB) CPU wont max it out either (especially if I get a GeForce5900), I wish products would tell how much power they take up... The thing being, I just dont wanna get screwed and buy a case that doesnt have enough power. I'm still tied to the googlegear case for $64 with the 420watt PSU (dual fans on the PS, 2x80mm case), I dunno, I'll do some serious thinking :thumb: . Ok, I guess I'm set then for my upgrade, the only thing I need now is cash and how to do it. Is there any kind of good manuals online for putting together a comp, or like, a d/lable program (PC Builder 5.0 I heard is good, but I dont wanna pay for it). Also, is there any good way (tried and true) that I can sell some of my old stuff? I looked about eBay, and it seems that unless you are a store, you get screwed selling stuff. Could I sell it to a chain store like CompUSA or something? I'm gonna do more research, and probably start a new thread for this, but thx for any replies. Right now I have a: 16-bit Sound Blaster Live! Value sound card, a brand new 10/100 (I think) Ethernet card, and a GeForece 2 MX/MX400 grahics card w/ heatsinks (everything's in great shape, never o/c'd, etc), and later I'll have 768MB of PC800 RDRAM, a Dell Case, and a Dell 400FSB Mobo. The Dell stuff I guess I could sell back to them, cause no one will buy it, but where could I sell this stuff (or if someone want's it, leave a reply or PM me). Thx for all the help already, thx for all the great info RDR, and I think I'm pretty well set. Thx again, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information