Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade questions

Well, I'm on the last leg of maxing out my current system, and I was just wondering which way to go from here. To me, there seems to be 3 options.

Option 1: Buy a 2.6ghz CPU (the highest mobo my comp supports) and a Volcano 7+ fan to go with it. About $270
    How much more performance will that give me?

Option 2: Buy a new RIMM board from Intel (the new 800mhz boards that they just released), a 3ghz CPU to go with it, and a Volcano 7+. $650 excluding RAM. Obviously it will have more performance, but I only have PC800 RAM, yuckm so I'd probably end upgetting PC1200 and selling my PC800 (all RDRAM's work with RIMM boards, right?)

Option 3: Leave this comp as is, and build a whole new comp with the best stuff. $1500+

Right now, I'm pretty much stuck between Option 1 and 2. Option 1 is def cheaper,but seeing that 400mhz boards are probably going to be obsolete in a year, I dont wanna throw my money away. Option 2 soudns really nice, but I dont have that kind of cash right now. J/w, if I get a 400/533/800 mhz board, I could still use my old CPU until I got some more cash to buy a new one, but are those boards slower than a straight 800mhz board? Also, I'm using my Dell Case right now. I love it, as it solid metal, then plastic around it, and keeps my comp wicked cool even tho I have no fans besides my CPU and PSU fans. But will it fit the new board? How can I make sure w/o buying it? Ok, I think that's it, any advice is much appreciated. I f you think of something I havent (which is more than likely :rofl: , please post it) Thx in advance, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

<marquee behavior=alternate>Option 3:</marquee>

i definitely have to agree with wiggo, there's almost no hope of successfully doing any major upgrades to a name brand pc. They have the case-mobo connectors organized in very strange orders all the time, and if u change mobo/cpu then windows will probly refuse to boot Dell

F************************************************* ************************************************** ************************K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, that's what I was afraid of :cry: . I should kick myself every night for buying a name brand PC :omg: . Bah, anyways, here's option 4 ( :D ):

-wait till a good 400/533/800mhz mobo w/ RIMM and AGP 8x comes out (if not already with that new one that TT did a review on, forgot the name of it :?: ) and take everything from this comp, put it in a new case w/ the new mobo. Wipe my C drive (the WD) w/ XP and re-install xp. THen I'll upgrade my CPU (to 3ghz or whatever they have out then, talking late summer/early fall at the earliest here), and then if needed, my graphics card, and finally, if its needed, my RAM (to PC1200). Now would that work? or would I run into more problems? And could I get a good guide for rebuilding a comp? I'm a new at this, I almost freaked putting in my Ti4200 and RAM, and then again when I put in my HDD. Thx for the ummm, not so ambiguous replies :p , its all much appreciated, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

That sounds like a good solution, except the canterwood chipset for the 800 fsb procs uses normal DDR RAM, not the Rambus RAM u currently have, so ud have to get some PC3200 or better DDR ram :thumb:

Ya gonna have to wish hard that that new SiS RAMBUST chipset will work as it's the only future RAMBUST has left in mainstream PC's now.

Ok, some info and then some questions. First of all, I'm gonna get screwed into buying new RAM when I buy a new board anyways, as my RAM is 16-bit, and probably wont run on new boards (most likely made for 32-bit) or will have major performance issues so I'll have to buy DDR, but I'll get into that later. The board I'm looking at is this:

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=246450

Any good? I've never heard of DFI, but it seems like they have a damn good board. They have some awards on the site, so they cant be that bad.

RAM wise, the board says it supports only DDR-400 (PC3200), if that's all the new boards support, why do they have PC3500 and PC3700 available? Is there something I have to change for compatibility? help!

So, for RAM, there's tons on googlegear, and pretty cheap too. This is the main RAM page, the DDR's are at the bottom, dunno which to get yet.

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ThirdC...egoryCode=0111

Finally, if I get a new mobo, how can I figure out if it'll fit in my case or not. I'm already wondering whether or not my power supply can handle the new stuff (only a 300W). So, I looked at the cases. I found this one, although its not all metal like my Dell, it seems like it could have some pretty good cooling if I put an intake fan in the slot by the PCI ports, and exhaust fan wherever the other fan slot is, and then put a duct over the CPU to guide the hot air right out, and maybe even a fan there too. That's the setup on my Dell: 90mm fan at the end of the duct, duct curves to the CPU, and I dont know what kind of cooling I have on the CPU, but it's noisy has hell. And for a $64 case, that doesnt seem too bad :thumb: .

Anyways, heres the case:

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=143220

The case is about 3mm taller and 3mm deeper than my Dell case, and is the same width.

Wow, I've been talking for a long time :blah: , lemme know what ya think, or give me some pointers if I screwed up somewhere, thx alot for all the info already, most of this is hypothetical, as the earliest I can do anything is late summer. Thx again, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

DFI have been around for a long time but there boards just arn't the sort to stand out (check to see about what overclocking options that it has).

Just because a mobo states that it only officially supports certian speed memory doesn't mean that it can't run faster memory (I've been doin' just that for quite a few years now).

If ya plan on some serious overclockin' then ya can't go past Corsair's XMS3200/XMS3500.

Knowing Dell even the PSU is wired to a different standard. It's better to leave brand name PC's as they are if ya don't want any headaches and that other case should be more servicable then the Dell one.

Hmmm... cant say I'm surprised about the Dell case :p . I'm hoping that the 420 watt PSU will supply enough power for the new board and processor (After I get the board and RAM, I'll go from my 1.9GHz to a 3GHz, or w/e they have out then that's fast and inexpensive :thumb: ), and w/e fans I put on it, prolly one in each of the pre cut fan holes. If it's a good board, then that's all I need, cause I'm not gonna over clock cause I dont have the extra money to spend on extra cooling, and I want my gear to last as long as possible. I mean, I hope an 800mhz board/CPU w/ AGP 8x and ATA/133 is enough to smoke any game I throw at it . THat is, of course, unless they come out with a cheaper board that's easy to over clock, then I just might have to try it :D . So, two questions I can think of. 1) HOw's the case look? Will it be ok for my new stuff? It's all aroudn metal like my Dell, so I'd imagine it wouldnt absorb heat away from the components as well, but with the one 80mm intake next to the PCI slots, one 80mm exhaust some wheres else, a vocano 7+ on my CPU, and dual fans on the PSU, you think it'll run cool enough?. 2) If I dont over clock the FSB/board, do I have to stick with DDR400 RAM? Or can I still go with DDR433 or 466? That's all I can think of, other than that, I'm gonna keep hoping and work my butt off, and maybe I can get this by the end of summer:woot: woohoo! : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

interesting that DFI lists 400/533/800 FSB support for that board - when the i875 chipset only "officially" supports 533/800

I've already seen a few i865 springdale boards around (Abit, MSI, Soltek), unless there's a specific feature of i875 that you need - get a Springdale & save some money:2cents:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information