Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Start menu problem

I was tweaking the registry and must have edited the wrong key. Now I don't get a menu when I right-click in the start menu. Any ideas on which key is responsible for that and how I could fix this?

Well the description you gave is a bit vague. What modifications did you perform? Did you happen to back up your Registry before poking around in it?

If not: If you are using Windows XP, I would recommend you give the System Restore feature a try. You can access it easily by clicking Start -> Help and Support -> "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore."

Your system should perform restores at a consistent time every day. You might want to go back a day, or more if you think it is necessary.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

When you right-click, the menu that comes up is called a "Context Menu" - look for any tweaks related to that and undo them.

Unfortunately, if you've edited the registry without any backups, System Restore or otherwise, you might be in a bit of trouble "undoing" those changes. Precisely why in my Tweak Guides (if that's what you're using) I specifically dedicate an entire page up front to backing up before doing tweaks.

I did both back up the registry and create a restore point. I'd spent about an hour tweaking and figured that there might be a way to save myself the trouble of starting over. Guess not :)

To answer your first question Raven, I went through both of Persian's XP guides.

I purposely put in some evil tweaks in those guides to trip people up :devil:

Just kidding...actually I can't think of what would get rid of the context menu on the Start bar. It's probably the context menu tweaks in the 2nd guide, and even then, you may have accidentally deleted the wrong registry entry.

If you backed up those individual context menu registry entries then try restoring them all and that should fix it.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Go to this link and scroll about a quarter way down....on the right side you will see a tweak for "Enable or Disable Right Click Context Menu"

Hope this was what you were looking for...and sorry if I am posting this too late to do any good but maybe someone else can use the info.
    Join TweakTown's Seti@Home Team and put that idle computer to work. C'mon, I know you want to :)

Thanks Marty! I reloaded my registry backup and that fixed the problem (at the expense of all the tweaking I'd done). This should save me a lot of trouble should this happen again :)

Thread Information