Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't delete a file in WinXP

Ok, if "Show hidden..." didn't work, the the file(s) must be "system" type. If you want to see them...in the same view, untick "Hide files protected by...(recommended)". This will allow to see system files.
    But use it with caution, don't delete some file maybe needs XP.

I've had that problem too... What I'd usally do is create an empty file called named the same as the file folder that you want to delete and then cut and paste it, and then after that delete the blank file...

And I find the other alternative possible too... If your file resides on your C: drive for example, you can open up cmd and then type this chkdsk c: /x

This will dismount the volume and all existing references to the volume will be disconected. That way you should be able to delete it after that. See if that works.
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

Have had that problem with multimedia files before but it has been awhile. Seems to me that what was happening in that instance was that the offending file was still loaded into the mediaplayer (as most recently used). Once I used my player to view another movie then my offending file was deletable.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Try deleting this registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cl
    asses\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32
    This stops explorer from loading shmedia.dll. Worked for me in moving Kazaa avi's from my shared folder. It's seems random, This Kazaa prob some I can move/delete and other's I can't :confused:

As always, backup your registry..Post back as I'm curious to see if it will fix your prob

augie

it could be the most stupid reply compared to all the above ones...but did you try a simple restart?
    i would like to point you to PI's point once again regarding msconfig.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiven{BGF}
    Ok, if "Show hidden..." didn't work, the the file(s) must be "system" type. If you want to see them...in the same view, untick "Hide files protected by...(recommended)". This will allow to see system files.
    But use it with caution, don't delete some file maybe needs XP.
    I tried this, and now I can see two folders:
    Recycler
    System Volume Information

Regarding other responses: tried msconfig and removed anything that might reference it, removed all references to it in my win media player, and tried restarting. Nada.

now what? Thanks so far, everybody...
    Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
    ATI x800 XT
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
    Windows XP Home SP2

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    What file system is the drive? If it's FAT32, then you can simply use an old boot disk and delete it that way.

If your file system is NTFS, you could boot into the drive in DOS with NTFSPro and delete the file from there. Did you try the dismounting? Or replacing the file with a blank one but with exactly the same filename?

Do keep us updated on this, I know a sizeable amount of people this happens to, and really want to know how to fix that.

:cheers:
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    It's NTFS. Will try the next suggestions.
    Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
    ATI x800 XT
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
    Windows XP Home SP2

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vfoong
    If your file system is NTFS, you could boot into the drive in DOS with NTFSPro and delete the file from there. Did you try the dismounting? Or replacing the file with a blank one but with exactly the same filename?

Do keep us updated on this, I know a sizeable amount of people this happens to, and really want to know how to fix that.

:cheers:
    Not many people have NTFS Pro, and it has occasional issues when you try change / delete files on an NTFS mounted partition. Worth a try though, if available.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information