Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Find "gpedit.msc" !?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Your IRQs are fine. It is usual on most chipsets that some of the USB controllers share IRQs with major components. While it can cause problems, it's very rare. And quite honestly there's not much you can do about it - WinXP automatically assigns IRQs so unless you can physically shif the hardware that's in conflict (e.g move a PCI card) then the IRQs will remain as they are. Don't worry, they look fine though.
    PI what do you think about my computer's irqs??

AYE CARUMBA!!

Actually two things would help - one, having them translated into english and two, reading this page of my 2nd XP Guide.

Basically the rule is that the major components such as sound card, graphics card and IDE controllers shouldn't be sharing an IRQ with anything other than USB hubs and the like. For example a sound card and graphics card sharing one IRQ may cause problems. In yours case, the NIC sharing with the graphics card may cause problems.

However if you're not having problems then the IRQ sharing is not a big issue. Even then, the only "solutions" are either to disable ACPI (which I don't recommend) so you can manually asign IRQs, shift any moveable devices (e.g PCI cards) to another slot, or reinstal Windows after having disabled/removed unecessary system devices.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    AYE CARUMBA!!
    What is that!!!???? :confused:
    What kind of phrase is that??????

[B]
    Actually two things would help - one, having them translated into english and two, reading this page of my 2nd XP Guide.
    Ok, I had read it. I'm going to disable COM1 and 2 and the front USBs. What I don't like is that I have to reinstall WinXP, I'm toooo lazy to reinstall all the programs, games, etc. But if it is the only way...

P.S. You were jk about translate, don't you???:rolleyes:

The only reason you'd have to reinstall Windows is because WinXP will automatically allocate IRQs, so even if you shift things around it somehow reallocates the exact same IRQs to the same devices. If you disable as many devices as possible in the BIOS, then reinstall Windows it will not assign them IRQs in the first place, and hopefully shift the free IRQs to your shared devices.

Just note that some motherboard chipsets share particularly IRQs on purpose. For example on my Granite Bay Intel board, IRQ 16 is shared by a USB Controller and the AGP Slot by default. No amount of reallocation will change that since it is the way the motherboard is designed. And I have 23 IRQs! Here's my current IRQs:

Glad to hear that my IRQ's are okay. That is not a task I was looking forward to diving into by any means. :)

Also, I think I found the solution to my dog slow secondary h/d. After posting here, I decided to take use of that ultra cool "reboot" shortcut you noted in your guide and enter my BIOS settings. When browsing around I noticed that my Primary Drive 0 was set to "Hard Drive", yet my Primary Drive 1 was to "None". So I made a quick change on Drive 1 to "Auto" and continued with the boot process. Upon entering XP I scurried over to the HDSpeed proggie and re-ran the test. Lo and behold, I am hitting right around the 90/48 marks with both drives now!!! :D :D :D

Hehe, I was thinking maybe it was just a glitch so I had to retest that reboot shortcut again and retested everything once more. Again, all with the same good results!! The only thing I do still ponder is why my h/d gave such funky results of 32/28 last night when I posted. I find that odd.

Moving forward, I would like to clarify that I could get the 3DMark03 program to run just that one test (the flight simulator one) and that was it. No other graphical or CPU tests. Unfortunately I do not have direct access to the Dell right now, but when I return home I will check out your suggestion of "dxdiag". I have already d/l'd and "clean installed" the video drives as recommended in one of your other guides.

Thanks so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I will post back after I run that DirectX stuff.

Take care!
    LogixRat
    P-)
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

No problems, glad to see the hard drive problem was resolved. The other problem with 3Dmark is not a huge issue if you can run other graphical programs without a prob. Maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall 3DMark2003, but I doubt it.

Give DXDIag a try and come back if you're still having problems. You still haven't mentioned what graphics card you're running. A card without full DirectX9.0 support (like a GF4MX) cannot run some of the graphics tests in 3DMark, but the CPU test should run under any machine.

/EDIT - noticed your system specs at the bottom of your post : omg: Ok, your GF4MX may not run some of the graphical tests due to lack of hardware support, but as Wiggo suggests, run 3DMark2001SE first and that should run everything, except perhaps the Vertex Shader tests.

Really with DX7/8 video cards you'll be much better off usin' 3DMark2001 SE.

If I'm not mistaken all that you will ever be able to run is the first set of the four tests with the GeForce4 MX card but you should at least be able to get a score from that (my best was about 144 ... if I remember correctly). The other tests require a card that has hardware support for DirectX 8.1 and 9. Even with 3DMark2001SE there are several tests that your card will not handle. (Starting to wonder if I'll ever get to see the "nature test".)
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Arrrr mates, I appreciate the comments thus far, and am beginning to wonder if I didn't screw myself. I didn't realize my card was not DirectX 9 capable, and within the last week or two I updated to DirectX 9.0a.

Of course, the 3DMark2001 SE program doesn't like this and gives me an error reporting that I need DirectX 8.1 drivers. Attached is a screen cap of the exact error.

Since it sounds like my video cards sucks royally and doesn't even support DirectX 9.0a I don't see a real need to keep it that current. Besides the only reason I installed that version is because I downloaded the free original version of Grand Theft Auto and it said to ensure I had the latest DirectX drivers. Aside from that, I do not normally use my computer as a gaming device (that's what my 55" big screen and Xbox is for :D ). Anyhow, is there a way to "rollback" the driver?

Also, before I forget I ran the dxdiag as requested and then performed all the tests. Everything performed good w/ no errors reported.

Again, thanks so much for the help this far. And I look forward to putting a nail in this coffin.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    :cheers:
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

I forgot to note that I haven't seen any graphical performance issues with any other programs I run such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver or AutoCAD.

And on a totally different subject, you noted several GUI enhancement proggies in your 2nd tweak guide. I have been using StyleXP and noticed a few little qwerks with it along with the fact that the original MS GUI seemed a little faster. I haven't done an indepth research to find out if all the proggies lag the OS, but I assume they do. Is this correct? Either way, do you have a recommendation or preference for a specific program?

Thanks!
    LogixRat
    ;)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information