Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Find "gpedit.msc" !?!?!

I have been reading through some of the great WinXP tweaks presented by Galvin Ballard, and freely published here in TweakTown. Here is a direct link to the tweak I am trying to perform (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=145&dPage=5

Anyhow, everytime I type in 'gpedit.msc' as required, I get the message saying it cannot be found. I know Gavin noted he was using XP Pro for his tweaks, and I am using XP Home. Is this the difference of not being able to perform this tweak? Or is there something else I need to do to install/enable 'gpedit'?

Many thanks!
    LogixRat
    P-)

Group Editor is not available on XP Home - Pro only.

:( :( :(

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate your quick response to this problem. Is there an "equivalent" program that will work on Home?

Thanks!
    LogixRat
    P-)

Not really. However you can perform most of the important tweaks using Registry Editor or MSConfig or other means. See my XP Guides for more info ("Reformat to Relax" and "Relax to Righteous" - links in stickies above).

Found those links late last night, and started reading them this afternoon, and downloading all the programs. Luckily I have high speed internet or I'd still be waiting (at least for the 3DMark03 program).

Anyhow, I will sipher through those and see if I can't improve performance a bit more. I did notice some speed gains after applying the ones posted by Gavin Ballard, along with disabling some services provided on the Black Viper Services Configuration website.

Anyhow, I have been having a heckuva time getting started using your tweaks as I have been trying to gauge current performance. So far no problems with the HDSpeed and Sandra software, but 3DMark03 keeps giving me fits. Each time I start the program, I get a message saying that my computer can only run 1 of the 4 tests. Even so, after I hit the "Run Test" now button, it'll go through flight simulator looking screen and then at the end just turn my entire screen grey. And there are no signs the program is working at all.

Any ideas on what to do to rectify the problem? I am running DirectX 9.0a as required (just updated about a week or so ago). Anyhow, getting that working would help me move along a little quicker to the tweaks.

Thanks,
    LogixRat
    P-)

You don't have to get 3Dmark03 running to use the tweaks. It was just something I suggested so people could see exactly how much tweaking can improve their computers by using benchmarking programs. You problem with 3Dmark2003 sounds odd and I would recommend updating all your drives (as usual) and perhaps some graphics card tweaking.

Anyway you'll notice that a lot of the tweaks in my guides have been shown before in Gavins. I just made sure I collected all the known performance and enhancement tweaks in one place.

Anyway, go straight to the tweaking and forget the benchmarks for the moment.

There was a video card update available via the Nvidia website, so I downloaded and updated. Doing so will now enable me to get all the way through the flight simulator test I noted earlier. However, it is still not letting me run the other 3 graphic tests nor any CPU tests.

Is this because I elected NOT to purchase the Pro version? Or perhaps there is another reason? Just for the heck of it, I did d/l the PCMark2002 program, which does seem to test the CPU. Still I am frustrated that I can't get the 3DMark03 program to work for me the way I feel it should.

Anyhow, yes, I realize I can proceed with the tweaks, but I just wanted to gauge before and after scenarios to see what the numbers were. Ya know...exhibiting true geek form. Hehe.

Take care,
    LogixRat
    P-)

No, you should be able to go through most of the tests in 3DMark2003 without purchasing it. Your hardware might prevent you from running some of the graphics tests as it requires a DX9.0 compliant graphics card for some of them. However the CPU test for example will run on any machine with the free version of 3Dmark2003.

Reason I said to get on with the tweaks is that they will likely help resolve your 3Dmark problem. Especially if you have a read of my System Optimization Guide and the section on drivers, you'll see how to do a "clean install" of the latest graphics card driver and this should solve your 3Dmark problem.

Anyway have a read through those guides and perhaps you'll be able to solve your own problem with the info in there. If not, we'll be glad to help you :woot:

Well, I finally got through both guides and can report a noticable difference in speed and enhancements. :D Here are some before and after benchmarks of the PCMark2002 program:

Before
    CPU = 6039
    Memory = 5345
    HDD = 611

After
    CPU = 6178
    Memory = 5603
    HDD = 897

I would have reported results from the 3DMark03 program, but sadly it never would work for me, regardless of the tweaks and tips I tried. :confused:

After all this tweaking and testing, really about the only thing I am vastly disappointed with is the performance of my hard drives (actually my secondary hard drive). When reporting the speeds with the HDSpeed program recommended, I get the following results:

Drive 0 (Bandwith) = 32.047
    Drive 0 (Sequential) = 28.911

Drive 1 (Bandwith) = 2.231
    Drive 1 (Sequential) = 2.233

And actually the results for Drive 0 has decreased DRAMATICALLY tonight for some reason. When I first ran the test I got figures such as these:

Drive 0 (Bandwith) = 90.374
    Drive 0 (Sequential) = 48.496

Of course, Drive 1 was almost identical to the above noted numbers. I find it very, very odd that my Drive 0 has dropped like that just tonight. Anyhow, I think the bigger concern is why my Drive 1 is so darn slow, and what can I do to fix it. I tried setting the Device Manager to read it as DMA mode (yet it insists on sticking with PIO mode?). Please help me get this baby up and running like it should.

Also, attached is a screen capture of my IRQ settings. As you will notice, I have a couple of items that use the same IRQ number, and I wasn't sure if these items were okay or not so I thought I would ask first before modifying.

IRQ Screen Capture

Alas, please let me note that this is a Dell P4 2.53ghz (4550 series) machine we are dealing with. As you probably already know, Dell has a bad habit of not using standard mobo's and what not, so the amount of mobo info I have to offer is limited. I do know the machine is pushing the i845PE chipset. If you need any other info to help diagnose the problems I am experiencing, please let me know.

Anyhow, any insight you or anyone else could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
    LogixRat
    :cheers:

Your IRQs are fine. It is usual on most chipsets that some of the USB controllers share IRQs with major components. While it can cause problems, it's very rare. And quite honestly there's not much you can do about it - WinXP automatically assigns IRQs so unless you can physically shif the hardware that's in conflict (e.g move a PCI card) then the IRQs will remain as they are. Don't worry, they look fine though.

As for your hard drive performance, since you say you have a Dell I assume you haven't changed or moved the cabling around. In which case it's just a case of your hard drive caches. Have you gone through the Cacheman tweaks in my first guide? And if so, when testing with HDSpeed have you let it run a few times and see what the general results are...sometimes the results drop, but if you look at the general trend a peak of 90MB/s burst, 48MB/s sequential is great.

Most of the tweaks in my guides are not so much to boost raw speed but to get rid of unnecessary resource-hogging rubbish and make things feel "snappier" and smoother.

The fact that you can't run 3DMark2003 is a worry though. Go to Start>Run and type "DXDIAG" without quotes. Check all the tabs and run all the tests in DXDiag to see if you have any problems. As I mentioned before, download the latest drivers for your graphics card directly from either Nvidia or ATi and do a "clean install".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information