Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Installing XP On New System

I have Windows XP Pro on my computer and will be replacing my motherboard and processor in a few weeks. The hard drive, video card, and memory will be the same. I'll need to reformat my drive to reinstall the right drivers for the motherboard and processor. How will this affect my activation? Will I have to call Microsoft to get them to re-activate?

You will have to reactivate, but you can do this online after everything is set up. If I remember correctly, you can run any of their "Activation Required" software for up to thirty days before the lack of the activation causes problems.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

if it wasn't a major hardware change you'd probably be fine activating online, but since it is you'll have to call up M$ to explain why you're installing a previously installed winXP on a 'new' computer

M$ really is pretty good about not giving too much hastle about it, it'll probably only take 5 min on the phone
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

When I upgraded my rig a couple months back I had to reactivate Windows XP by phone (first time I'd done it that way). All I got when I called MS was a recorded voice system, and I was done in 2 minutes - never even spoke to a real person. Just entered the numbers in the activation window and the recorded voice read back some numbers for me to input and it was done.

Not sure why people go on and on about activation being so scary...if you've got a legit copy of XP and you're using it on one machine only, you have NOTHING to worry about.

Seems painless enough. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information