Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to boot with minimal junk running?

Hi,
    What I'd like to do is have a way to either boot XP Home with the absolute minimum things running or a normal boot. I'd like to be able to choose at reboot either 1: games (the minimal) or 2: normal boot.

I know this can be done I have seen people talk about it, but when you ask how they do it, you never get a reply.

Can someone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Al :smokin:

That does sound like a god idea:D Anyone know how??:confused:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

for a minimal boot, turn off any services you don't need running and remove anything from startup that you don't need to boot with windows

Services can be found in: Control Panel/Admin. Tools/Services

Startup can be found by typing 'msconfig' in 'Run'...click the 'Startup' tab and disable what you want.

as for making two different ones, I've never tried...since I'm a bit of a performance freak, I want all the juice i can get whether I'm gaming or just surfing the net
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I don't want to have to keep turing things on and off, that's why I was wondering if there was a way to have 2 boot options.:)

I remember seeing something like what you are wanting on The Screensavers website a week or two ago. Basically they created a glorified batch (.bat) file.

Do a search of their site for the specific article.

Good luck,
    LogixRat
    P-)

Another alternative would be to go into User Accounts in the control panel and create a new one called Games. Then configure that account for best performance of whatever you are playing. Sure, you will have to disable a lot of crap.....but only once, and then you just log into your games account for gaming and whatever other account(s) for your normal use. Just a suggestion to try out if all else fails.
    Join TweakTown's Seti@Home Team and put that idle computer to work. C'mon, I know you want to :)

That's the best suggestion yet!! I wasn't sure if that would work.

Thanks,
    Al

I created a second account and disabled a bunch of services, and the services were disabled in the other profile as well, so that isn't what I'm after.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't do a dual boot with Windows 98 SE and XP.

Thanks for the continued comments.

Al

:geek:

I haven't heard of any practical way of doing this. I simply recommend you use the Blackviper services guide (which is the best for service tweaking) and use his "Gaming" column. It should be safe enough for normal usage as well.

For example, my normal service setup means I can do everything I could ever want in Windows and my memory usage at startup is only 67MB (Commit Charge in Task Manager). No real need to disable any other services as the memory/performance gain would be miniscule.

To see what my particular service settings are, go to the Services section of my Reformat to Relax guide.

Thanks, I'll definately have a look.:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information