Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Computer Constantly Freezing Up

So i should use the WIndows 98 OEM boot disk?
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

How do I get my computer to boot from the A:\ drive? When i boot with thte disk in drive it just seems to ignore it completely.
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

pretty new to all of this huh? to boot off a floppy you have to set the boot sequence in the BIOS to check for it. To get into your BIOS you have to press a key when your PC first begins to boot (depending on your Mobo, it is usually Delete). Most BIOS will flash which key to use to enter the BIOS settings, or you can look it up in your mobo manual if you have it. When you get into your BIOS settings you'll have to look for the boot sequence (the order the BIOS looks for a bootable medium) and set the first one to Floppy, the second to CD-ROM (since you'll have to install winXP later), and the third to HDD (or HDD-0). Save and exit your changes. Boot off the win98 boot disk, type fdisk at the prompt, enable large disk suport when it asks. Choose the option to delete a non-dos partition. Delete it. exit Fdisk, remove the floppy, and reboot with the winXP CD in an optical drive. Now create a partition with the winXP setup process (you can create partitions with fdsik, but in order to keep things simple for you, just use the CD), then format the partition with NTFS and you'll be on your way. I have an article I wrote that lays out step-by-step how to use fdisk. I'll try to find it if this post is too confusing.

EDIT: I found it and uploaded it to my site: FDISK Lab Sheet
    as the name implies, it was for an assignment I had to type up, so it is specific to that assignment and some of it will not apply to you. If you (or anyone else) would like a revised and more general version, just ask. It wont take long to rewrite part of it :)

another note: I just edited a part of it with openoffice; if it shows up odd under M$ Word please let me know :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

You don't need a boot disk though. All you do is:

1. Put your XP CD in the CD Rom drive.
    2. Disable all your other drives as bootup drives and set CD ROM as the only boot drive in the BIOS.
    3. Reboot.
    4. While it says "Preparing to Boot from CD ROM" press F8 repeatedly.
    5. You'll enter the Windows Setup (blue) screen.
    6. From there choose to delete the existing partition and do a full format (not quick) in NTFS.
    7. Install Windows as normal.

using the CD to create the partition will leave 8 MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, fdisk wont
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I can't seeem to access the BIOS. It says hit DEL to enter setup and when I do it just brings me to the screen where it asks you if you wnt to startup normally or in safe mode. An even then It doesnt let me move the arrows up and down as if my keyboard is disabled.
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

minibubba you're probably right, I just wanted to show him the quickest easiest way.

flamingbanana, have you checked your entire system physically? Also, you can always get into BIOS, that's the way systems are designed. You need to reboot and start pressing DEL repeatedly almost straight away, even before the screen shows up.

If you're still having problems I would highly recommend a trip to a PC tech, it sounds like far too much to be resolved from a distance.

im gonna give it a try. You wont hear from me for awhile if its succesfull.
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

damn..I got to the A drive prompt and when I tried to run fdisk i couldnt because my keyboard wont respnd. The lights arnt on on it or anything and no keystrokes get a response from it.
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

Get into the BIOS. If your keyboard won't respond check the connection. If it still doesn't respond take it to a PC store or tech place.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information