Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Pro, Norton, and Bootup Times

This forum has been extremely helpful in the past, so I'm going to ask for help once more...

I have Norton AV Corp Edition. After creating a new admin account on XP Pro, I noticed that my bootup times had increased. I am not 100% sure, but I'm 95% sure that Norton is the problem. After about 40 seconds of booting up, my computer looks ready to go, but it's not. In the systray none of the icons are present, EXCEPT Norton. This Norton icon (which is a shield) has a yellow exclamation point on it. This lasts for another minute, and then eventually the exclamation point disappears from Norton, the other other icons load, and the computer is finally ready to go.

I thought it would be a simple matter of me turning off an option to scan at startup. However, I can find no option regarding scanning at startup. I have nothing in scheduled scans, etc. I can't even find any kind of "Preference" or "Option" menu.

Is Norton the culprit which is slowing down my bootup, and if so, is there a way to stop these scans at startup?

Norton never did this on my old profile.

Thx for the help!

I have the same OS, same version of Norton. I have had that happen, but only when I've installed something. If there is a new device being detected, or I am installing something, Norton acts the same way, but once everything is sorted out, Norton boots just find for me.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

So it just takes some time and Norton will work itself out without me having to do anything?

It's probably to do with the Norton scan at bootup as you said, I don't actually use that version of Norton, I use Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional and I notice there's a cross indicating Norton is disabled at startup and it soon disappears after it's scanned the boot record of all drives, it also normally accesses your floppy drive (you can see the floppy drive light come on for a split second) just before Norton says it's up and running... I think in time, it will speed up... That's at least what I've noticed on mine...
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

Norton never did this on my old profile.
    Did anything change since you re-installed? Hardware re-arrangement, or new hardware? (was it a re-install or did you just change some of the user account settings?)

Even formatting a drive will probably get this to happen, but it should go away.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Nah, it wasn't a reinstall, just a new user account not connected with a domain. I deleted my old user account which was connected with a domain. When I did that, it was very much like a reinstall, however, because when I opened Outlook (and other programs) for the first time with the new user account, it had to install. Other non-Microsoft programs asked me for my serial #, etc, as if I had just installed the program.

By the way, I'm glad I deleted the old user account from my old network, along with the domain. Other than this one minor irritant, my computer is working better than ever. Everything is faster for some reason.

Is the problem still occuring?

I think you may be right that Norton will eventually "fix" itself. I think it has something to do with installing new programs. The problem got tremedously better yesterday. My bootup times improved 100% yesterday, then last night I installed a program and now Norton is slow again. Hopefully it'll speed up again. I'll keep the forum updated in case somebody else is interested too.

Thx for the help!

tjgartner

Hi guys,

If startup is slow with Norton, try more RAM.

I found that it takes a VERY long time to get the Norton system tray icon going. I previously had 128MB RAM and recently upgraded to 640MB - what a difference! System tray is loaded in seconds and everything, especially Norton, runs faster.

I've also heard of problems with new programs installed causing a slow Norton, but have never had this problem myself. Maybe because my system was so slow before that I didn't notice the extra startup time!

But more RAM is always good!

Good luck,

Chris

Thx for the tip. I already have 512MB of RAM, though, which is the highest my computer will take.

I have to admit, I've basically been installing and uninstalling various programs over the past week. Norton is slow as always...maybe it'll speed up when I stop installing stuff....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information