Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD Suddenly Fills Up, For No Reason

Heyaz, I am getting this weird problem on my system. I am running WinXP and the problem is after 2-3 hours of up time my HDD sudden fills up and I have no space left. My other HDD don't fill up, it's only the C drive. This has been only happening the last 3 days. But once i reboot the HDD is back to it's normal state. Freaky stuff. :wow:
    I have 2 HDD, the primary HDD is a 60G partitioned into 2 and the secondary HDD which isn't affected is a 20G partitioned into 2.
    This is the first time it has ever happened.
    Anyone know whats happening?

I certainly don't and it's the 1st time I've heard of it happenin' but then one of the software guys might. : peace2:

BTW if ya don't get an answer here in the next several hours I'll move ya over to the Windows forum. ;)

Thanks Wiggo:cheers: . This is the first time I've seen it, I only formatted a few days ago too. I'm not running any software at the time it happens.

Any chance you've got a virus?
    :shrug:

I don't think it's a virus, I use norton anti virus 2002 and have the latest updates and I also have norton firewall. Plus if it was a virus wouldn't it be perminant? When I reboot it's back to normal for a awhile. The C drive is 14.6 GB and I highlighted the main folders in the root and they only total up to 9GB. So I think it might be a Windows glitch.

Have u done all your windows updates? is your bios up to date?

My BIOS is up to date, as for Windows which update do I use? Cause I'm on 56k and can't possibiliy download all of the updates of the site.

Without being updated, it can be unstable most of the time. There is about 60 or so updates plus drivers with windows update so far. When I started using xp, there was like 7 updates including drivers. Since then I have installed on hundreds of machines. And watched the updates increase to over 60. And xp seems to be the most stable now.
    I stay away from dot net framework(it creates a password protected user account that cant be accesed, dont like that), 820291 for now(had a friend try that 1 today and it had problems), euro conversion tool (i live in Canada), windows journal viewer, dx9a/wmp9 optional.
    If u are using beta or not whql drivers, update may try to downgrade them(it thinks its updating).
    It also may offer a driver for a device that it didnt do before a major hardware change. With a gigabyte mobo it offers an old version of catalist for r9000pro. Before with a qdi mobo it did not offer a driver at all.
    I believe that tweaktown has a nice guide for this topic.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

first of all if u have norton kill it i had it and it f*cked my comp to hell try zone alarm makes a good free fire wall to hehe:flames:
    pluss it is LOADED with spy ware :wow: and it slowa ur comp down ALOT and the rsn 4 the hdd prob is most lielyu should try un dividing that disk burn every thig on to disk and than reformat

PS IF U GET AN EMAIL TITLED IT TAKES GUTS TO SAY JEYSUS DELETE IT IF U USE OUT LOOK EXPRESS FIRS I RECOMEND NOT USIN IT BUT IF U DO DELETE ALL THE MAIL IN IT BEFORE REBOOTING

A /13/ S /M /L/HELL
    laptop:
    2.2ghz
    433mhz fsb
    264 meg ddr sdram @266mgz 200 pin
    40gb hdd
    64meg vid card
    10x dvd
    24x 12x 24x cdrw
    desk top(u guna laghf)
    433mhz p3 cpu
    65k on lv2 cache
    12x 8x 24x cdrw
    8 gb and 4 gb hdd thats not workin
    246meg of ram @100 mhz

A /13/ S /M
    Yep, sounds about right.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information