Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Color Of Start Button In Xp

mka, i got it back onto a working theme....it just required some massive guestimation of where the buttons were. so anyway, i got it to were i can see everything again.
    i couldnt just delete my account, im the administrator....and the only account, lol.

ok, i dont know if i installed sp1 or not. i only dload my automatic updates(i have that set to do it by itself, so i dont know if i did or not.) and i never dloaded it off the microsoft website.
    so anyways, i also did the start, control panel, system, general thing and didnt see anything there in reference to sp1. so i installed the non-sp1, and it messed up hardcore. any suggestions?

your just have one account on your PC and it is the administrator???? don't mind pal...but this is the silliest thing you could have done. if you wanted admin rights...you could have made another account with admin rights rather than using the main admin account.

anyways, if you still have problems you can create another account with admin rights and use that one instead.

to check whether u have sp1 or not...just see under the general tab of that system window. you will see something written like the picture attached.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I doubt that creating a new account would help becuase he replaced the uxtheme.dll (found in C:WINDOWS\System32\) which affects everyone.

I recomend that you use system file checker ( go to the command prompt and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes) to replace your file with the defualt uxtheme.dll. Make sure to have your windows xp install disk handy.

i wonder where he said that he replaced his uxtheme.dll? :?:
    he had stylexp and never patched uxtheme.dll, atleast he didn't mention it in his posts.
    imo its just a visual style that winxp didn't accept because of an unpatched uxtheme.dll and nothing else.
    system file checker is a nice way to go ahead but just getting rid of that crappy visual style would solve the problem.
    another problem that he might experience with SFC will be that most of the system files will be of newer versions (becuse of updates that he performs regularly) and SFC will compare those new system files to those on the install CD and would find them changed. he might lose most of his updates there.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Wouldn't system restore fix it ??

Asklepios here is when he said he had the patch

"i had stylexp installed before, so all the themese were already in the windows directory. my trial ran out, so i decided to try this little guy. i installed it just like it said, tried to change it to sentinel_blue, and now..."

By "little guy" i assumed he ment the uxtheme.dll patch becuase i was talking about in a previous post.

That is a good point about system file checker however. He should just copy an unmodified uxtheme.dll file from another computer and replace his. (Next time i suggest that before you replace system files that you make a backup).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information