Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Color Of Start Button In Xp

Could somebody who is knowledgable in XP comment on the thread (and the threads that follow) located here:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1004248898

They explain how to change the color of the start button. I have followed their directions to the best of my ability and I can't get it to work. I can see, however, that it probably should work. I think I am just missing one little thing.

This seems like a worthwhile tweak.

Thx!

it seems pretty strait-forward, what is the problem?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I tried it late last night, but couldn't get it to work. I may have missed something, but thought that somebody knowledgeable could go through the steps, and clarify them. I'll try it again myself right now. I'll post again here if I get it working, otherwise I'll wait for somebody else to try it and see if they can get it to work.

You can modify alot more than just the start button.

First you need to download the uxtheme.dll patch from <a href="http://www.lightstar1.com/install.htm">here</a> so you can install visual styles that are not digitally signed by microsoft. Style XP is a program that does the same thing but it is trailware and your trial expires after a certain amount of time so it is better to just install the uxtheme.dll patch. Now your moded start button should work.

Next check out <a href="http://www.themexp.org">ThemeXP</a> for visual styles.
    I recommend any theme created by ChaNinja, especially the sentinel one.

His newest theme, ChaNinja RC5, can be found <a href="http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=36&t=82041&">her e</a>.

Ok, just tried it again. When I try to initiate the new theme the task bar turns into the "classic" look, rather than changing the start button.

Iceman, thx for the link. I'll give that a try now and see if that's what the problem is.

YOU ROCK ICEMAN! IT WORKED. Once I installed the patch, my start button changed. AWESOME!

Thx for the help!

I love this forum....

Glad to help.

glad it worked for him, cause it just completely f^%k'ed up my computer. i had stylexp installed before, so all the themese were already in the windows directory. my trial ran out, so i decided to try this little guy. i installed it just like it said, tried to change it to sentinel_blue, and now...
    now, everything is black except for icons and my interent explorer. well, actually everything is pretty much black. my start bar is pure black, my taskbar is pure black. i only got into i-net explorer cause i could see the icon on my desktop. so how the hell do i fix this.

wat abt the System Restore?
    if that doesn't work out then just login as administrator and delete the account which you used to try all these experiments.
    usually themes or other visual settings are user dependent and it might not have effected your main administrator account.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Smokey, do you have Service Pack 1 for windows XP. If so then you may have installed the wrong patch. There are seperate ones for SP1 and non-SP1 computers. Unfortunately the one on TGTsoft's website (the makers of style xp) is the one for non-SP1.
    Check out the link i provided in one of my previous post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information