Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Group permissions on non-NTFS volumes

Hi everyone, hope this is possible....

I want to share my files through SSH (SFTP) and my SSH client server allows logons according to usernames in Windows. I don't really have problems sharing stuff on my NTFS volume but however when I try sharing stuff on my FAT32 volume and add it to the list of SFTP virtual directories, the Guest has the ability to delete files on FAT32 volumes as FAT32 volumes has no permissions set. I was just wondering whether anything can be done in gpedit.msc to set permissions for the Guest to not delete files and take full control on FAT32 partitions. Thanks for your time guys.
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

it's been a while since I've delt with fat32, but one problem with FAT is there is no real security with it

if it's possible for you at the moment, I'd highly recomend converting to NTFS if you are going to be sharing anything
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

FAT32 can't be secured in any reasonable way and can be broken into in many ways. As already stated convert to NTFS as that can be secured to a fairly reasonable extent.

That's what I thought. Well looks like there's no other alternative... Thanks again guys...

Cheers. :cheers:
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

Thread Information