Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: help with os

i have red hat 8 and i want to change to window me. but when i installed my window me Cd and reboot, the cd doesnt read, but instead it went to Redhat. i dont know how to format the whole HD cause i dont have internet righ tnow ( i am using the students computer) . So, i was wondering what program i can use to format my whole HD so i can install window me. (o, and how do i install window me when my HD is formatted.
    thanks.
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

first of all, why do you want to switch to windows from Linux? and second of all, why Windows ME? It is arguably the worst Windows ever released. Depending on what you want to do- windows 98 SE or windows XP (or even win2000) would be better.

the Windows CD should allow you to delete and create partitions as well as format them during the initial install process

that is probably the simplest way for you to do it and if you are not familiar with widows and DOS then it is the way I would recommend... there are more complicated, although better, ways to create partitions and format if you are interested
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I totally agree.
    ME sux!

But if you want to do it, you might want to check that the boot order is set to CD before Hdd.

hope you dont do it, but good luck anyway

4. Default

I'm with the others, ME bites but you can try using VMWare which automatically partitions your HD for you when you install another OS.

I recommend Windows XP not ME, but in any case do this:

1. Set your boot order to CD-ROM first, or at least make sure the CD-ROM is one of the boot devices.
    2. Put your ME CD in the CD-ROM drive and reboot.
    3. As your computer is rebooting (and says something like "Booting from CD") keep pressing F8 until the Windows Setup screen comes up.
    4. From there choose to delete the existing partition and create a new one, then install Windows on it.

have removed all the partion. but after rebooting, with my windows me cd, i still get this error, and i cannot do anything.

GRUB -----

MINIMAL BASH

LIKE LINE EDITING SUPPORTED FOR THE FIRST WORD, tab FOR THE FIRST WORD, TAB LIST POSSIBLE.

i pressed tab, and ther is like a whole list of things, like setup, read, reboot, root, postkey and so on. i tried doing D:\setup doesnt do anything. please help
    My new gaming rig..

seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon

did you set your CD-ROM to the first device in your boot sequence (in the BIOS) like PersianImmortal suggested?

it sounds like the MBR on your HDD is what is giving you a problem (GRUB is a boot loader) and booting strait off the CD will bypass it and write over it as it installs windows

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com, create a boot floppy to boot you into DOS.

Boot into dos and type FDISK and follow the instructions to format your drive. Once you've formatted it, all you need to do is put the WindowsME CD into your CD-ROM drive and reboot and it should start setup automatically.

btw, are you still planning on installing winME? or have you seen the light and desided to go with something better, like winXP? :)

: peace2:

k, i got myself a boot disk. and, for some reason, it cant read it when i pop it in teh A: drive (and yes, i set the boot order A> first). it tells me to press any key to contiune cause it cant read the floppy. i checked out the floppy in my gaming computer, and it had only one window file.

and for the window me part, well, i got the cd and the floppy of free from a friend, and i am jsut going to use if for my 2 old p3's as a mini internet/ online game (like tibia ahahahaha) rig.
    My new gaming rig..

seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU

Thread Information