Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Me Boot problems

Help I need help my computer has decided it does not want to start up anymore.

After POST I get the following message "BOOT FROM ATAPI CD ROM FAILURE DISK I/O ERROR REPLACE DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY"

If you press any key the next message appears "DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

If you press enter first message appears again. I've got no disk in enter CD Rom or in a:

Any ideas?

This is a harddrive issue. Either u have a virus or your harddrive is pooched. U need to get another harddrive and see if u can copy the info over.

This is all assuming u havent tinkered with the system internals or the bios.

assuming that your HDD is still on the boot list in your BIOS and it is still plugged in, I'd say you've got some serious HDD issues. Back up data asap and start saving up for a new hard drive

does it make any strange sounds, like clicking?

what HDD do you have?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

No strange noises, I did get a virus though but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, however PCCillin did class it as low risk and no danger to data (one of those annoying pop up virus's, which launches 100's of pop ups when you connect to the internet).

Quote Originally Posted by David Owens
    No strange noises, I did get a virus though but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, however PCCillin did class it as low risk and no danger to data (one of those annoying pop up virus's, which launches 100's of pop ups when you connect to the internet).
    Was your antivirus up to date at the time of the crash?

Yes I visit PCCillin update at least once a week to check.

I would suggest that u look into pricing a new harddrive. How old and how big is the currentone? do u have any of the info backed up?

Its a 3 year old 40G Seagate

U may be able to RMA it to seagate for a replacement, otherwise, start shopping. I'd suggest a western digital special edition drive. 3 year warranty, 8 meg cache, 7200 rpm, and reasonably quiet. They range in size from 40 gig to 250 gig.

Go to the Seagate website and download their diagnostic tools. Put them on floppy disks and boot from them. You'll be able to run some diagnostics to see if your hard drive is indeed faulty.

If nothing is faulty with your drive, it sounds like something has been corrupted on your drive. Do a full reformat/reinstall and see how that goes for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information