Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Triple Booting system

I have previously been able to run a triple booting system by installing windows ME then Phat linux then editing msdos.sys to include:
    cls
    echo (W)indows or (L)inux?
    choice /c:lw /n /t:w,5
    if errorlevel 2 goto ender
    c:
    cd\phat
    linux.bat
    :ender

Then installing WinXP which detected both OS and incorpoated them into the boot menu.

Does anyone know how to create a triple booting system if I have already installed XP and want to add lycoris linux and Win ME?

I'm not familiar with Linux so I can't comment on that portion, but the Win9x systems must be installed prior to WinXP. Otherwise it overwrites the MBR and scraps the XP install completely.

While some folks may claim at least partial success in this endeavor, I have yet to see a solid means of putting any 9x based OS on an XP machine and have it actually work the way it is supposed to.

You might, however, want to look into something like System Commander which is a utility designed to handle multi-boot systems. I don't know if you could install the ME after or not, but it might be worth checking into.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

usually with multibooting windows, you install the oldest first and work your way to the newest

I don't know too much about linux (even though I have it insalled atm), but I've heard that it's best to install Linux after windows...and that is what I've done and it works
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thanks for the help. I already knew That Windows XP had to be installed after previous Windows versions. I was hoping to do the reverse without having to format the hard disk. System Commander looks helpful but the only way to see if it works is to buy it. Maybe next time.

well i don't have much idea about lycoris but when i installed redhat 9.0 it gave me options to chose which other OS i have which have not been detected by the install process.
    if lycoris offers that feature than you can try to install Me and then lycoris in that order.

but do back up your XP and be prepared to install everything again as the things might not go the way u want them to.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Actually System Commander will let ya load oses in any order and several of them on one system without the limitations that certain oses will impose on ya so it's a very good investment. :thumb:

Thread Information