Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: NEED DirectX help

I doubt I'm even posting in the right forum, but heres my question/problem.

Ok, I have directx 9 installed and I need to install direct x 8.1, but everytime I run the dx8.1 installatoin program and then restart, it's still dx9. How can I get it to install dx8.1???????????

Firstly there should be no reason why you'd need to install an older version of DirectX.

Secondly, you cannot uninstall or change back to an older version of DirectX once you've installed the newer version. The only way is by reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

Stay with DirectX9.0a, it is backwards compatible with all games/apps. Whatever problem you're having is not because of the DirectX version.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Firstly there should be no reason why you'd need to install an older version of DirectX.

Secondly, you cannot uninstall or change back to an older version of DirectX once you've installed the newer version. The only way is by reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

Stay with DirectX9.0a, it is backwards compatible with all games/apps. Whatever problem you're having is not because of the DirectX version.
    the only way to get rid of directx 9 is if u have created a restore point, assuming your OS can do so.

I believe DX9 is backwards compatible for older games and such.

The reason I'm trying to install dx8.1 is this program I'm trying to install says something like "driect x 8.1 not detected". There is a fix for it on the net, but in order for that to work, you need the CD.....and I don't have the cd.

try this

If you need the CD then get the CD. Vinnieven that "fix" you've linked to works up to version 8.1 of directX not dx9.0 and in any case it sounds like we have someone using illegal software, which I refuse to support. Thread closed.

Thread Information