Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help! Can't resize virtual memory

Hello,

I have recently applied many of the tweaks to WinXP as suggested in the guide found on the website "Twaeking Windows XP: From Reformat to Relax". I also added more RAM.

Overall result: Excellent.

However, every time I try to change the size of the Virtual Mewmory to 768Mb as suggested in the guide a blue screen pops up as soon as I press "ok". It says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard disk configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and restart computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF24C0F00, 0xF24C00C00, 0xF8925B8C)

*** CLASSPNP.SYS - Address F8925B8C base at F8925000,
    Datestamp 3d6de49a"

I use AVG Virus protection which I shutdown. I do not have any defragmentation or backup utilities other than thoses provided by Windows XP so I did nothing about those. I did recently update my VIA chipset drivers to vers 4.38. CHKDSK revealed no drive problems. Hard disk configuration seems normal to me. NTFS format.

I still can't resize the virtual memory. Blue screen error every time.

This is the only instance where I get the blue screen. The rest of the system runs fine.

Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance

Ron

System:
    Pentium III 450 Slot 1
    Iwill VD133 motherboard
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    RAM 512 Mb DIMM 0
    RAM 64Mb Dimm 1

I had a similar problem and never did find an answer. However, I found that if I booted in Safe Mode I could change the size w/o any problems.

I would like to know why it does crash though in normal mode.

Len

It probably crashes because something is using the pagefile and won't allow Windows to control its size. Anyway either disable EVERY app which is running the background (by using the Task Manager and closing all non-windows processes) or just do it in Safe Mode.

It only needs to be done once, so use the Safe Mode workaround because I'm not sure what exactly causes it. I haven't heard of this problem before.

Had same problem ... after crash and reboot I closed off all nonessential programs and tried again. It worked then.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thanks for the replies,

I finally had the chance to try out your suggestions last night. Success in Safe Mode!

Thanks for the input.

1 point to make. Never having had to use Safe Mode before, I had no idea how to boot up to it. Help in Windows XP was totally useless. It hasn't been updated to XP yet. The information was valid for Windows 2000 but none of the options exist in XP. Thanks Bill! Thankfully a call to a friend revealed the use of the F8 key during the bootup sequence.

Thread Information