Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP Pro during shut down

I push the Start menu ---> Turn off Computer ---> Shut down and when it goes through the whole routine of saving settings, it doesn't automatically shut off my computer like I want it to, it just sits a screen that says "It is safe to shut off your computer now." Does anyone know where I could find a setting to change that would ammend this problem? Thanks

You dont have ACPI or APM powermanagement enabled in the BIOS, and if you do, you need to do a WinXP repair install (reinstalls the OS, but doesnt affect anythiong else)

I had this problem. Upgraded to XP Pro and it wouldn't turn off after shutdown.

For me the fix was a simple matter of going to Control Panel - Power Options - APM tab - tick 'Enable Advanced Power Management Support'.

If this doesn't help then there was a thread on this which I found a couple of days ago in this Forum. Also there is a knowledge based article on Microsoft.com http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810903

Good luck

Ron

Thread Information