Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: VM disabled but still there?

hopefully one of you windows gurus can help me out here...

I turned off Virtual Memory/Paging File to force everything to stay in memory, but taskmamager still shows VM useage:

the paging file really doesn't seem to exist any more though as it doesn't show up in diskeeper, so what is taskmagaer showing me?

I'm just a bit confused here :confused:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

well you have confused VM size with the virtual memory or paging file.

actually "MEM usage" is the field that has to be looked by a normal day-to-day user while "VM size" is there for programmers to see how effectively their program or script is using memory. since you want to know about it...i will tell you in simple ways.

"MEM Usage" is the memory that your OS has allocated to a particular process to access. usually it is a bit more than needed so that there are no paging or memory access faults and is thus not a real indicator of how a process is using the memory. here is where "VM Size" comes into play. it will tell you how effectively your memory is being used. thus where "MEM Usage" tells you how much of your RAM or "RAM + Paging File" is in allocated, "VM Size" tells you how much of it is being effectively used.

mostly all processes run in their own blocks but processes that access other processes regularly will show a higher "VM Size" then their allocated "MEM Usage" simply because your OS has allocated it less memory but it is sharing the memory of one or more than one processes. this is not abnormal as these processes need to work together and thus make kind a pool of memory.

think it like this that "me and you" have $2 individually and we both are working on a project together. now we both have to buy material for it but i have a list that just costs $1. so i give my one dollar to you just to make your pool bigger cos you are buying costlier item. thus actually we were allocated $2 each but since we had different needs and were sharing...we had different amount in the end.

if you want to learn more and see how it all works up, you can install "Process Viewer" from your XP Pro CD. most probably it will be in \SUPPORT\TOOLS directory.

i hope i explained it all in a simple manner and didn't confuse you more than i ever wished to :p
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    i hope i explained it all in a simple manner and didn't confuse you more than i ever wished to :p
    nope, I got it, thanks for setting me strait :o

:cheers:

Don't disable virtual memory. Your system needs a pagefile to operate properly, even with 1GB of RAM or more. Don't take my word for it though, read this expert article on VM :)

ya I know, I was just curious to see how it would run with it disabled....honestly I can't tell any difference at all

Thread Information