Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Start Up Problem

Please help, I've had a problem with XP start up. After POST it goes to the XP start screen and then a BSOD appears which says "system32\drivers\NTFS.sys is missing." "You can repair this file by starting windows setup using the original cd rom, select r to start repair."

This I did and chose CHKDSK /r however 46% into the check it failed saying it had encountered major errors on the disk. I then tried to use FIXBOOT which didn't do anything I could see. I then used the XP eqivalent to FDISK and it brought up my partition C: but said that the file system was unknown, when it should have recognised it as NTFS. (XP has been running using NFTS for a couple of weeks.)

Are there any other commandlines i could use to fix this problem or as I suspect after what CHKDSK informed me my HDD is in the process of failure?

Any help appreciated.

Go to the manufacturer's website of ya hard drive and download their diagnostic tools to test the drive.

Sounds like you've suffered some sort of drive/file corruption. DO as Wiggo says, and if your drive is physically OK then you may need to reformat (recommend a low-level format) and reinstall Windows.

Basically if your security descriptors are corrupted - which this sounds like - then you probably won't be able to recover your drive contents as Windows won't allow you access to it. That's the increased security with NTFS.

Thanks for the help before i start dianogstics, low level format how do I go about doing one of them?

I'm assuming that its different to just a normal everyday format of your HDD (high level format).

most of the drive manufacturer's have utilities to perform low level format on their websites.
    if you use a seagate disk you should download DiskWizard Starter Edition .
    it has two kind of formats...one is quick and another one is slow. slow one is low level format.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information