Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Windows without CDROM/Floppy?

Amen
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

lol, minibubba, while that driver is immensly useful, how do I get to dos to install the driver...?

That is where creating a FAT partition comes into play.

DOS would be installed there - then, that partition would be used to install Windows to the drive.

A bit of an in-depth undertaking, no doubt.

I'd definitely do a bit of research before proceeding.

Somewhere, I'm sure there is a Linux utility capable of creating the FAT partition. Perhaps already within your Lindows?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

It isn't a walmart pc running lindows.

It's an Refurbished Intel Dot.Station running debian.

So...i don't know how I'd partition the drive, therefore not being able to get into a DOS prompt.

I'm not sure that approach is going to work...

would a usb floppy drive be useful in this situtation? I somehow don't think so...you can't even boot off it can you? would it be possible to boot off a USB CD-ROM? I don't think it is...I'm just speaking out load...so to speak ;)

at least being able to boot off a floppy would make this soo much easier...

EDIT: a bit off topic, but I found this boot disk while searching for a solution, unfortunately i don't think it will help this problem much but some of you may find it useful:

Bart's Network Boot Disk
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

hmmm... this is a very interesting dilemma. Everything I can think of is either a program that runs in Windows / DOS, or requires initial booting from another device.

Is there any software / application that will allow partition changes in debian while it's running? That would make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    hmmm... this is a very interesting dilemma. Everything I can think of is either a program that runs in Windows / DOS, or requires initial booting from another device.
    same here, i can't think of anything, and I can't find anything that doesn't at least require a floppy :shrug:

Beefy Guest

If a partition can be created seperately from the main one, then it's workable. if not, I can't see how to do it.

if there is a way to get into the case without destroying it then the HDD could be removed and put into another system and all sorts of things could be done then

but then again if he could get to the HDD he could proabably hook up a CD-ROM as well...

debain is linux right? will this work: QTparted

it is a Partiton Magic clone for linux... i ran accross it earlier today while I was looking for something else...I had completely forgot about it : omg:

some download links: http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtparted/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information