Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Total Eradication Sought !

objective:- complete removal of various, annoying components of WinXP (sp1)

status:- thanks to that immortal persian I have completed the first level(s) - I don't get spammed to death by messenger anymore and system resources are no longer being squandered on background gakk (at least not as much as they were) but................i am not having any joy trying to remove the following from my system; outlookexpress/frontpage/netmeeting/msngamingzone to name a few. either winxp tells me they are being used by some program (bs) or it seems that i can delete/uninstall them but they re-appear when i next reboot! gggrrrrrrrr.

please point me towards some answers or i'm gonna be heading off to Redmond, WA with my 'guage ;p

:afro: thanks.

Go HERE for a HARDCORE tweak, that will allow you to do what you wish. I've done this tweak myself, and ooooooooooo... the things you can do...
    What the... ?

ooooooooooooooh wow,

that, my friend, is a true gift, i haven't done it yet but just skimmed through the page you linked, thankyouXbig ; ]

soon, soon i will own my pc again instead of it pwning me ;-D

you should post the link on the special sticky for such gems, fortunately i happen to know a shortcut to it, please, go HERE

you da Gman !

:afro:

You won't get any performance gain from deleting Outlook Express/frontpage etc. Just a little more hard drive space. Also disabling the system file checker is not recommended, as at some point you might want to do a system repair to repair a corrupted system file and SFC is the only way to do that.

Of course you're free to do it, but I think any performance gains would be outweighed by the fact that your hard drive might become unusable should any system file be corrupted.

thanks PI but can one not turn it back on after deleting the annoyances? thereby returning the system to its normal 'safe' state but sans outlook etc?

Sure, but if you ever need to run the System File Checker in the future it will simply restore all the files automatically anyway. So in effect all you're doing is saving a small amount of hard drive space temporarily, and with no impact on resources since outlook express etc. do not run in the background or use any resources until they're actually run.

Any programs which do run in the background and use up resources will show up in the running Process tab in Task Manager. You can disable these in Administrative Tools>Services and untick any startup items in MSConfig, and hence nothing will be running in the background. Deleting them off your hard drive will only gain a small amount of free hard drive space.

rgr

:geek: "Over the top" tweaks don't bother me... I keep a Ghost image of a full, "healthy" install handy, for when I REALLY mess up, and have to start over. I also don't just delete things from XP's prying hand, I move them to another drive for safe keeping. My initial XP SP1a install was ~2.5 gigs, but after moving the page file, and all the crap to other drives, my install shrank to 650 megs. I like a "clean house".
    Robert Palmer, "What good's a place to stand on, without a place to fall".
    Cheers All !!
    What the... ?

rgr

p.s. did you post it on that sticky i mentioned?

rgr

p.s. did you post it on that sticky i mentioned?

Thread Information