Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Set up Apache Web Server on Windows XP

Ok ive got a situation. My university has web space that im currently hosting my website on. The problem is that i just moved off campus into my own apartment and i only have 1 semester until they cancel my account. I could always use Comcast to host my site but i would rather just use my own pc. I was thinking about installing apache web server but i dont know much about it.

So my questions are,

(1)how do i go about installing apache on my computer (windows xp pro) i realize that its a little more complicated than just running a setup program.

(2)how do i go about getting a domain? Im a poor college student so the cheaper the better.

(3)I also want to use PHP so if it doesnt already come with apache how do i install this to work with apache?

Thanks.:geek:

I have absolutely no clue how to do any of the above mentioned. But, isn't apache limited to Linux/Unix systems?

there are plenty of hosting companies on the web, and some of them offer limited free account

onestop.net offers 10 MB of web space, and as you can see by checking my sig, the ad banner is very small

but as for appache, I can't help you, as i don't have any experience with it
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I was sort of trying to stay away from those "free" accounts with places like angelfire, geocities, tripod, and whatever else was used back in the days when AOL proggies were cool.... I need a lot more space than 10mb, no required popups or ads, and i am really hoping to get something that offers PHP. I also want my own domain. Ive heard of something called IIS... I have never used it before but i hear it works similar to Apache. Is this worth looking into?

Stay away. IIS is M$'s windows based version of what it takes to be a server. You can inherantly host web sites, mail, and domain crap from Win2k Pro (or Server, i forget) but its like a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest. I'd recommend buying server space (like geocities, but pay for it) or learning Apache, and its PHP aspect. But remember, you still gotta register domains, cheap, but still.

Beefy Guest

IIS isn't that bad. It's good for a first time web server in getting to know how it all works. As long as you patch it all properly, then I'd use that for a start. XP Pro has IIS 5.0 built in, so give it a shot.

To install it, go to Control Panel - Add / Remove Programs, then click on 'Add / Remove Windows Components'. IIS is listed there, along with all the associated options (HTTP, FTP, mail, etc...) Have a play.

I guess it's ok for learning some of the web, domain, networking required to run a real solution. But it's not something i'd rely on.

EDIT:
    While your at installing IIS 5.0, your Red Hat machine will run Apache like its no ones business. It should even be part of the software set included on the install discs.

lol, unfortunately my 30 gig drive with Redhat just kicked the bucket last weekend. It figures....

So what is a good company that does web hosting for cheap but offers lots of options? Im really looking for something more permanant and a lot more secure than those free 10mb style web hosting options. I want more freedom than they can offer.

Thread Information