Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: config.sys damaged

(win xp)

I'm getting an error message on the home computer during startup that config.sys is damaged.. it suggests using the repair function on the XP cd (tried this.. it just dumped me in a dos-like window with no help)

I have windows installed on 2 hardrives so i can easily swap/ replace files.
    How do I fix this.. Can I just copy config.sys from one hdd to another?

thanks
    joey

Beefy Guest

One question - Why is there a config.sys file on an XP system?

you tell me?!

a friend said that to me last night.. thing is why would it report it missing/damaged and refuse to boot if it's not needed and/or doesn't exist?

There is Config.sys in XP, at least on my system. It is in the base C:\ directory and it's 0 kbs, but I assume that when the warning tells you the file is missing, it's indicative of general drive corruption. I doubt replacing it will make any difference, but you can try.

More importantly if you try the XP repair and it fails then as I said it is clear you have some kind of hard drive corruption beyond this single file.

I strongly suggest backing up all the important information on the drive (even if you just copy across the files in DOS), and then doing a full reformat (low level format) and reinstall.

If I were you I'd start hunting for viruses and hacking intrusions.

:eek: :geek: :shoot2:

Thread Information