Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 2000 Install Error

HELP!!!!!

I tried to install Windows 2000 on a computer that I have. I was upgrading from Windows ME. Everything was going fine, then my computer restarted (normal) and loaded into the setup. I got a blue screen, and the bottom it said "loading..." and some files, and then it said starting Windows 2000 setup. It came to a screen saying checking drive C. I went upstairs, came back down and it said drive C was corrupted. This was a brand-new drive. It did have XP on it, but I formatted it becasue I didn't like how XP was running [really slow, if you must know]. I ran disk check, and every other utility out there and it said the drive was fine. Now, I can't get windows 2000 setup to not start when I load up the PC. It was supposed to go back to Me, but it wont. I tried to format and it says "not ready. Format Terminated." or something along that line. Please HELP. How to do Install Win 2000 or get back to ME or Format it. I've had no trouble with this drive before.

-----------------------------------------------------
    The PC's SPECS
    -----------------------------------------------------
    CPU: Forget the type, but is a 500 Mhz
    HD: 40 GB -Western Digital-
    Mem: 448 MB of RAM (256+128+64)
    Custom Build
    --Mjha--

You need to create a Boot Disk and reformat your drive. That way itll be FAT32, unless you left it on the FAT32 filesystem when u installed XP. But you jsust need to format the HD and start off from scratch before installing any OS IMHO.

How do i create a boot disk. My drive is still FAT32
    --Mjha--

You can only create a boot disk via windows. So you have to do it from a friends computer or try and reload Win ME by booting from your CD rom and completely reinstalling that, then upgrading to Win 2k.

If you did an upgrade from winME to win2k it will me impossible to go back to winME

I glad you've got enough sense to dump WinME but doing an upgrade uninstall from it isn't a good idea (if that is what you did)

best thing to do is to format and start over. Get yourself and bootdisk from here ( http://bootdisk.com ) and repartition your drive then format those nice new partitions with NTFS and try to reinstall win2k from from the CD ...if you get major problems again, I might suspect a bad CD among a few other things

oh, speaking of that, you're not leaving the CD in the drive every time you reboot do you?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

yes, but i have it set to boot from Hard Drive. by pressing f8 when it shows all the attatched devices (e.g ATAPI 52X CD ROM), i can choose to boot from what ever device i want which is waht i usually do, so that way i can leave the CD in without harming the normal start-up.
    --Mjha--

You said the original drive had XP on it. If so, how did you go about loading Win ME, then 2000 on it?

You can't leave the CD in all the time and expect windows to run. You have to load windows on your harddrive then it will start up from there and you will be fine.
    First use the bootdisk you should have now, from Bubba's post. Then load 2000 from your CD, reinstalling the OS.

Chez

I re-tried and it didnt wokr. I have another drive, i'll just put it on there. im gonna take it back to the store.
    --Mjha--

Thread Information