Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Which is most secure?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most secure?

--Mjha--

windows is on the list... :rofl:

anyway, I'd have to go with Linux as the most secure

and I'd rate Mac security higher than windows without even thinking twice

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

You can't just vote on which is the "most secure". Most secure for what? Against physical tampering? Against invasion over the net, or from a direct attack by a hacker? Against a person in your family viewing private folders?

Also it's a balance between usability and security. Linux is nowhere near as user-friendly or compatible as WindowsXP, so even if it's more secure, who cares if you can't get 50% of your programs to run on it.

I think WindowsXP with NTFS and the latest security patches is more than secure enough to withstand any security thread you face in a home/small office environment including physical and/or internet invasion of your privacy and files.

..................................???????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

i completely second PI on that thought.
    you need to be a bit more clear on what your goals are and imo security of an OS depends on an user using it and an administrator adminstering it. :)
    just blaming windows for being less secure is not a way to go. you have to understand that most of the viruses, trojans and hacking attempts are made on windows PC's b'cos most users ARE on windows...and not to offend any one...but most of them don't know much about how to keep their PC's safe.
    so be a bit more specific on your question and you will have lot more fruitful answers :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Well, this was just a question i was wondering. I just wanted to get an idea of what people thought about the different OSes. I've heard some stuff about Linux and Mac, and I know windows isn't crash-proof, but i think it is a little bit easier to use and gain access to if something were to go wrong. I just wanted to see what people thoght. but based on what OSes i've seen (I used to work in a computer repair shop), MAC has been the bmost secure i've seen. I've never worked with Linux, but i have heard things.
    --Mjha--

Is it possible to copy a working installation of an OS (eg Win2K, Win98, WinXP) over to another hard drive to avoid having to reinstall. As long as the hard drive is on the same computer. If possible, which would be the best way of going about it? Should I just copy and paste, use DOS, or a 3rd party program.
    --Mjha--

this article (also linked to on the main page) seems fairly on topic with OS (M$) security:

US government warns on Microsoft bug
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

OK, Mjallen - you still haven't said what kind of security you need. The security needs of computers in NASA for example are different from those of someone at home.

Minibubba - the "serious security issue" in that article is rectified with a patch (823980) which I downloaded and installed using Windows Update around 3 weeks ago. If you use Windows update and install all recommended patches then such breaches are a non-issue.

Also, as Asklepios said, because Windows is used by so many people, it is subjected to a great deal of hacking/security cracking attempts. There is no such thing as a 100% unhackable, uncrackable, secure OS. It's just that Windows is so popular, the incentives and tools are there to exploit Windows.

I mean what's the point in creating a Linux virus, worm or trojan for example if only <1% of the population use it?

Its really a mute point.

If 98% of the world used Linux. NOBODY would have a computer left. They would all be wormed, virused, ect.
    Linux is open source. Which means there are thousands of people that MADE the software. Which means they all know the holes, and the wrong people would know how to write code to destroy it........
    Theres no incentive when less than 1-2% use something...
    Chez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information