Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Drives and Folders set to 'Search' not 'Open'

I'm already kicking my self for this, since I know how I screwed up, I just don't know how to fix it : omg:

I was trying to change a few icons though Folder Options -> File Types and now the defualt action for my drives and my folders is set to 'Search' instead of 'Open' ...it's a real pain in the ass and I just want to get it back to normal, I could care less about keeping the icons..I was trying something different :steam:

I've gone too far and need to move on!

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

&

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

Highlight "shell" - double-click on the right side and type in none

if not, let us know
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

thanks Mr. C ...I'll give it a shot the next time I boot into Windows, which should be as soon as this F@H WU is done

Thank God for being able to multi-boot, opening that damn search page with that little dog every time I tried to open a folder was getting really annoying...

:woot: Thank You Mr. C! It worked and it's all back to normal again.

:cheers:

Good to hear :thumb:

Yes, that dog would annoy the piss out of me too --- thank goodness for Windows 98SE:)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I just did it again playing with some icons, but I found an alternative to the registry (forgot about this thread at the time). Pretty simple really, although I still don't know WHY changing a simple icon though Folder Options causes Search to become the default.

In Folder Options, select the problem folder/drive, click Advanced
    in the Edit File Type window click New and enter "open" for the action and "explorer.exe" for the application.

Surprising what a little experimenting can do...

:cheers:

*note the screen shot is taken from win2k, but the problem was fixed on XP pro

Thread Information