Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows errors

Hello, I was wondering if you can help me. I recently read Gavin Ballard's article on Windows XP tweaking (http://www.tweaktown.com/document.p...120&dType=guide), and decided to try some of the tweaks out. I did most of them, and restarted my computer to apply the results. When XP booted up again, I found it to be very slow, and I started getting many error messages saying "Delayed Write Failed". These messages do not stop. I cannot access Internet Explorer, or regedit.exe. I need to know what I can do to fix all of this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Varg

do you have a restore point you can go back to?

Tweaks are not to be done "en masse", but rather one at a time.

Tweaking is an artform that requires patience. To do so many tweaks at once makes it difficult to tell what one or combination of tweaks may have caused the problem.

Best to use a restore point and begin again - doing 1 tweak at a time.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Well, I fixed the few that don't use regedit.exe (pretty of all of the ones I did used it). If I could get regedit to open again, then I could fix all of it pretty easily..

most prolly it is the write caching that u enabled on your Hard Disk.
    go to explorer --> right click on your hard disk and click on properties.
    go to hardware tab from there and chose your drive from the list.
    click on properties button --> go to policies and uncheck "Enable write caching on the disk".
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by Varg
    When XP booted up again, I found it to be very slow, and I started getting many error messages saying "Delayed Write Failed". These messages do not stop. I cannot access Internet Explorer, or regedit.exe. I need to know what I can do to fix all of this.
    Gavin's guide is a bit older than my WinXP: Reformat to Relax, which you should have tried - I keep it up to date.

If you had read it you would realize that one of the tweaks - the registry tweak LargeSystemCache=1 will corrupt hard drives if any one of the following is true about your system:
    If you have more than 512MB of RAM, a large NTFS disk or multiple large volumes (60-100 gigabyte hard drives possibly in RAID arrays), and/or AGP graphics with large AGP resource requirements (AGP aperture greater than default) then you will get hard drive corruption. Don't enable Large System Cache in these circumstances.
    So basically you will have to reformat your drive, as you can't recover from this sort of error. Believe me I've tried.

Once you are ready to tweak again try my guide because it's newer and has all the performance tweaks currently known.

Thread Information